Go-Carts

My son has gotten me into building an off-road go-cart. I have no go-cart experience and am wondering if anyone has plans for go-carts. I've looked over the internet, but am unsure about what's good.

All help will be appreciated. I am using SW 2006.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Be sure you include a place for automatic weapons on your design. It will come in handy when the revolution comes.

Reply to
mexiken

The Boy Scout Revolution?

Reply to
Deb Dowding

Thoughts of "Mad Max" come to mind..... :)

Reply to
IYM

not very helpful... how about you find an old ATV quadbike and cut that up for bits - add a couple of fibreglass bucket seats, roll cage etc...

Reply to
neil

Go karts are one thing. Off road go carts another. Many years ago, my father helped me make one (with great concern for my safety, he did 90% of the work). We salvaged a metal fire-engine cart (old christmas present) for the front end stearing, and used wood (chassis) and the rear wheels were ment for wheel barrows. It was mostly cobbled together. I grew out of it before the plans to retire his Briggs & Stratton (~2hp) to my gokart were realized.

I think for a basic off roader, you would want to first have a strong chassis and other componets lending themselves to abuse. Depending on your resources, you may want to get parts from atv (as suggested by other users). You will likely need a stronger engine...and then start to install the many safety devices to help junior return relatively unscathed from his adventures (ideally).

Reply to
DragonAtWork

In NZ we use quadbikes a lot for agriculture and horticulture and they are pretty versatile. A while ago I was a temp survey assistant and used one to carry our gear around a traverse on some pretty steep and rough county.We used a 250cc machine to scoot around for the first few days and it was a bit underpowered and light weight -read dangerous - for inclined terrain.The

600cc machine we used after that performed very well - even over tracks covered in 4 foot high lupin - good fun! There have been many fatal accidents with these though so be very safety conscious. Roll overs and flips art not forgiving even if it is only a light vehicle.
Reply to
neil