High resolution images from Solidworks

I asked this question awhile back and am still struggling with it.

I'd like to get high resolution 2d images from the SW parts or assemblies I'm working with. I want to use these images for high quality 2d printing, so I'm after minimum 200dpi and 24" x 30" images.

If I SAVE AS a jpeg, I get a file that's about 18" x 12.6" at 72 dpi. If I SAVE AS a tif, I get this: 13.5" x 9.5" at 96 dpi.

I'm not versed in what software SW uses to generate these files, but would it be possible to tweak the settings to get larger files? Many thanks.

Reply to
coilforth

open part/assembly>

print preview>

print screen>

paste screen dump into photo editor (mspaint)>

crop as desired

efficient it ain't, but it does get you a decent picture.

Reply to
kenneth

Print to PDF, then convert PDF to PNG using Ghostscript (free download).

Reply to
That70sTick

Thanks Kenneth, but that still only gets me a tif that's 17.5 x 11 at

96 dpi. That's great for viewing on a monitor, but for printing at 24" it would be very pixellated. Any other suggestions? Anyone know what controls the resolution in SW?
Reply to
coilforth

Tick,

I'm inexperienced at using command line software like Ghostscript. Any easier converter available?

Reply to
coilforth

Along with Ghostscript you can download Ghostview, which is a visual interface. A bit clunky, but it does the job.

Reply to
That70sTick

Hi

I got this in my mail a while ago, but I use Photoworks for my pictures so I haven't tried it myself.

First trick is high resolution screen captures.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@i20g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Download PdfCreator (free), it's a virtual printer that will let you print as a pdf, but also as a jpeg or png and a bunch of other formats. I just tried and got a 24 Mpix image.

Good luck JM

Reply to
Jean Marc

If saving a drawing view as Tiff click on the options button, select "Print capture" you can save from 50 DPI up to 2880 DPI.

John Layne

John Layne

Another alternate

He has a macro, mm_18.zip, to save high quality bitmaps, haven't used it for a number of years but probably still works with latest versions of SolidWorks.
John Layne

John Layne

I am having this same problem. In SW2007 I could Saveas JPEG or, while in a part or assembly model, hit print and get a reasonably high resolution file or hard copy. After upgrading to SW2008 a few weeks ago, I get files or hard copies which are such low resolution that what is shown is unrecognizeable!

There must be a setting somewhere...Any ideas?

I realize there are many workarounds, but nothing beats being able to hit the print button once to get a good hard copy...

Thanks - Brian

Reply to
Brian S