how do I create drop-in custom 'holes' ?

Hi,

I've drawn up a template for some sheet metal parts I use all the time. (for example rear-panel.sldprt)

I want to use this as the basis (with a save-as or save-copy-as) for my drawings. Into the drawings I want to be able to insert custom holes, such as a rectangle with radius'ed corner with two round holes (mounting hole for an IEC mains inlet).

How can I create and save these 'holes' in order to drop them into any drawing I might need them in ?

I need them to be 'through all' so I can drop them into 1mm, 2mm, 3mm thick panels and the holes will always be all the way through the material.

thanks

Reply to
me

Well, since you can't add geomteric features to a part through a drawing document, you'll have to do it in hte model document. This is what palette features do.

If you don't want to actually modify a part, but just show a hole, you would need a block in the the drawing. Unfortunately, there aren't controls for block placement that would be good for this. YOu'd be better off putting the hole in the part.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Look up library features in the help. You can drag and drop library features into your model you can create quite complicated features and you have a chance to change the dimensions of the feature upon insert. You can also disolve the feature which adds all the features that create it to your design tree. There is a thru slot that I use all the time that ships with SW.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich