How does a this NEWBIE fillet only a portion of an edge in SW?

I'm fairly new to SW and I think I have a "fairly" good grasp of the basics but ... I'm trying to fillet an edge, but not the entire edge. I want to start the fillet on an edge in about 2" & then end the fillet about 2" from the other end of the same edge. I'm sure this must be an easy task for someone with a little more expeience than myself. HELP!

Norm

Reply to
Norm

Norm,

It depends on how you want the fillet to look. Can you use a variable radius fillet? Move the little internal divider dots to the right spots and set the radius to 0 on the outside parts of the edge, ramp to the radius you want and then ramp down on the other end. You'll probably need to add a couple of more divider dots, which I've forgotten how to do, but check the help for the variable radius fillet.

Jerry Steiger

Hi Jerry, I don't want to gradually move into the fillet. I want to move in 2" from the end of the part and go directly to a .250" fillet. Something like you wold see on a piece of wood where someone would start a fillet cut with a "router" 2 inches from the end of the piece of wood.

Reply to
Norm

I would do this with a cut feature.

- Create start and end plane

- Create on start plane the fillet profile

- Cut to end plane

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Geling

Then if you need to simulate a router or ball-end cutter: sketch a semicircle on the end planes of the cut feature and revolve a cut to create the hemispherical

Reply to
Andrew Troup

That sounds like a job for a swept cut. Another possibility would be to make a revolved cut to make the shape where the router moves out of the piece. This should create an edge that you can apply a fillet to. I just tried this along a straight edge, and it works. You just have to turn off tangent propagation on the fillet.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Norm. You can create a feature to do this. I would insert a workplane/sketchplane offset 2" from the end of the part and sketch on it a closed profile of the 0.25" fillet then extrude cut in the direction required.

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Lintern

one way is to split the edge (using a split line) and fillet just that section of the model (you need to unselect 'tangent propagation' option when you do this fillet_.

another way, slightly longer is to do a sweep cut for the section that you are interested in.

HTH, JOe

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@news.silverbrookresearch.com...

Tryied by curiosity, couldn't make it work.

2001+ SP6
Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

snipped-for-privacy@news.silverbrookresearch.com...

Doesn't seem to work in 2004 SP3 either. I suppose another way to do it would be to split the part into two bodies, do the fillet, and then unite the two bodies again. If your edge shape is simple it would be easier to do a cut as others suggested.

Jerry Steiger

Try this.

Make a split line in the location where you want to have the fillet start. Insert a variable radius fillet and set the end condition(s) (where you want it to start/stop) to zero. Then tweak the closest percentage mark (to the end condition) to 99.99% OR 00.01% depending on what end you are at. It gets you the look you want but is not really a mathmatically true representation. For that you will have to use some other technique.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

WOW...Thanks to all of you for your help. Dale, that's exactly what I was trying to do. The rest of you gave me just a bit more knowledge of how to do some other things. I can see this is a great place to look for answers to questions. Thank again.

Norm

Reply to
Norm