How to improve large assembly performance

Hi,

To all you who are stuck with large assemblies like me there is a new tool available to help that. CadFaster for SolidWorks is an add-in product that improves the navigation, mating, selections, moving components and other assembly handling stuff. Typically performance is increased 5-10 times.

CadFaster can be downloaded from:

You can download full version of the software for free. It will work

90-days without any other limitations. After that you can register it if you want to.

This tool has proven to be usefull in some cases I know. If you are interested, test it!

Regards,

- Janne

Reply to
Janne Hietanen

Anyone else in the group ever use this? If so, what did you think?

Reply to
Seth Renigar

"Seth Renigar" wrote in news:DPg0d.2807$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

It looks to be some sort of display accelerator. Perhaps a layer between SW and the video drivers? I see they area "research" partner, and not a gold partner or whatever. What's a "research" partner? It doesn't sound like something you'd want to install for a whole design group.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Register? You mean pay?

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Maybe it's spyware, sending all your designs away :>) Bill

Reply to
bill a

Dale,

If you go the SW website you will find out that a Research Partner is a Solution Partner that is just entering the SolidWorks partner scheme. They have registered with SolidWorks, have to meet certain standards, but their product has not been tested to meet Solidworks compatibility requirements. Our friends at EcoCom are/were research partners and had a perfectly good product.

As far as CADFaster their web page uses the term "up to 5 - 10 times faster." I am alway leary of those k> "Seth Renigar" wrote in

Reply to
P.

Still, it's tempting to try it just to see what it can actually do. I still haven't cleaned up my old SW beta testing install of windows. If I find time this weekend, I might install it there just to see what it can do.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

The version they have for download only works on 2004. You have to call them to "see" about a 2005 version...

Mr. Pickles

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

CadFaster is a display accerator made with software. It increases SolidWorks performance by using "multiresolution mesh and visibility calculation technologies" such as occlusion culling and level of detail.

Those technologies are used to dynamically "hide and show" unneccessary display primitives to get better performance to SolidWorks. With some of our assemblies performance increase is about

5-10 times. With some assemblies there is no performance increase at all.

Of course there is no silver bullet for performance problems but again, if you have performance problems with large assemblies it may be worth testing. :)

- Janne

Reply to
Janne Hietanen

I wrote the developer an email the day the post appeared and noted that the product description was vague and undocumented even on their website and there was a total lack of objective data from typical desktops and laptops with a given test file to judge anything by and asked for more information.

So far, not even the courtesy of a quick one line email reply.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson