Intersecting rads

I rely on you all to call me stupid and tell me how to do this! (No-one else here knows the answer).

Imagine a surface with a 1mm high step to another parallel surface. I want to smooth out the step. I can add a step rad to one edge at any size up to just less than I mm. I cannot then add a rad to the other edge. I can add two rads as long as the don't add up to more than 1mm i.e. two 0.499 rads or one of 0.3 and one of 0.69mm. In other words., as long as I'm not trying to add a rad that goes onto the other pre-existing rad it's ok but otherwise no go.

The step is actually curved in three dimensions because the surfaces are not flat and putting in more material and then sweeping a cut along a profile doesn't seem to work. In some models the radii also vary.

Any ideas?? Have I explained adequately?

Les

Reply to
BrownLF

Could you sketch cross sections of both surfaces with the blended rad you want, then sweep the shape as a single surface?

Reply to
Zander

Have you tried face fillets sometimes these will work better than an edge or surface fillet

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Hi Les,

I believe the problem is because SolidWorks does not like to perform actions on surfaces that actually cull a surface. Because your surface is changing in both directions this puts a limitation on the size of the fillet that can be applied to the top edge and then to the second. If you could send me an example file I'd love to try and help.

Regards Simon Cube 3

Reply to
Simon Miller

Have you tried using a face blend on the second radius?

Jerry Steiger

"BrownLF" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com...

If it was a solid, you could add a draft (45degree, for example), then add the rads.

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

I may be well wrong, I frequently am! How would this work? Assuming you are actually dealing with surfaces, sketch a couple of split-line curves 1mm (or whatever) from the step. Delete the 3 middle faces (upper & lower split 1mm bits as well as the step). At either end of the gap between the surfaces, draw a 3D sketch consisting of a spline drawn with 2 points. Make either end of this spline tangent to the edge running away from the gap. It looks like you will need to do a "convert entities" on these edges and then make them construction geometry. After that, you can do a "fill surface" selecting tangency conditions for the edges. No doubt I've seriously oversimplified this (the method, certainly not the explanation!) but I hope it works.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

Hi Simon, and of course everyone responding,

I oversimplified my explanation of the step because I just tried what I described and it works ok. My actual application however is a more complex three dimensional path that I wanted to add the rads to. The rads do vary along the path length and sort of increase and decrease in opposing unison along the route. I now know this because all of a sudden yesterday after about twenty tries it suddenly did what I wanted and I can see the resulting curve profile. Don't know why it worked because I don't think I actually did anything different. I had tried face fillets and all sorts of things. I asked the other guys in the office and they said "ah, we get that sort of issue too". Anyway, my immediate problem is behind me and I crash on to others but I do appreciate the excellent assistance that can be relied upon from the group. Thanks to you all.

Les

Reply to
BrownLF