Is it worth buying Visual Basic 6 ?

Since SolidWorks uses Visual Basic 6 for its API, is it worth buying the full Visual Basic 6 for more advanced programming? Most Visual Basic 6 books have examples that require the full Visual Basic.

Since VB 6 is 3 releases behind the current VB, anyone purchase VB 6 recently? If so, from what reseller?

Reply to
SW Monkey

If you are serious about doing API programming, VB6 is worth it. I have written some very complex programs in VB6 and have not hit a wall yet that I couldn't get around. There are lots of support sites and lots of good programmers to help you out. The SW API supports almost all functions for VB. There are a few that you need C++ for, but they are few and far between and there are always work arounds.

The VB6 development environment is robust and fully loaded with debugging tools and management tools. Great setup. Highly recommended.

Reply to
Fred

Fred, does SW support the newer versions of VB? It looks like VB 6 is about 3 releases behind the current VB.

Im trying to find a reputable company online that is selling VB 6. Since its an older version, I dont see many places offering it. Do you know of a reputable source to purchase VB 6 ?

Reply to
SW Monkey

Reply to
Fred

Microsoft has officially dropped support for VB6, and I would conclude therefor that it is no longer in production. Any vendor you find will be selling old inventory (not that it goes stale or has an expiration date ;-) )

Dave

Reply to
Dave Nay

VB.Net 2005 Express Edition is a free unlimited license until November

2007 Download it and learn it. VB6 is on it's way out. There is still a great following of VB6 mostly because the jump to .NET requires a bit of retraining that most old timers either don't have the time for or they don't have the patience for. Learn .NET now and you won't have to retrain yourself in a few years.

Corey

SW M> Since SolidWorks uses Visual Basic 6 for its API, is it worth buying

Reply to
CS

Actually....MS decided to make all the express editions free forever.

From

:

  1. How much will these products cost?

Effective April 19th, 2006, all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions are free permanently. This pricing covers all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions including Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual C++, Visual J#, and Visual Web Developer as well as all localized versions of Visual Studio Express.

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition has always been and will continue to be a free download.

  1. Visual Studio 2005 Express was previously promotionally discounted to free for a year, why did you decide to change the price to free permanently?

Previously, we announced that Visual Studio Express would be available for a promotional price of one year. We have now extended that period so that Visual Studio 2005 will be free permanently.

Reply to
Dave Nay

Would I be able to use VB.Net 2005 Express with SolidWorks ?

Reply to
SW Monkey

The main advantages of using full VB (VB6 or VB.net):

--You can compile your script so it runs faster

--You can create addins (with toolbars and menu items)

--You have access to some items that VBA doeas not license (like common dialog)

If you need any or all of these, go to full VB. Otherwise, stick to VBA.

VB6 is most similar to VBA (macro language), making the transition smoother. VB.net is current and has fewer issues with distributing compiled applications. BTW "express" versions do not allow you to compile your code.

VB6 is available dirt cheap on eBay. The one I bought was

Reply to
That70sTick

I just did some scrounging on VB 2005 and the Express edition. The best and most coherent description I found is on Wikipedia

It looks like if you are just getting started, or if your programing is pretty light, the VB 2005 (What used to be VB.NET) is probably a better way to go. Some of my stuff has thousands of lines of code accumulated over 10 years of SWAPI programming and, as the article points out, I don't have time or energy to convert - this programming is not my day job.

Still, it seems worthwhile to download and start learning for future projects.

Does anyone out there have experience with VB 2005 and how it works with the SWAPI?

Reply to
Fred

. "BTW "express" versions do not allow you to compile your code."

I believe it does. I have created compiled Dlls and Exes could you show me where you are getting this information. The thing you can't do is create an install application. This isn't as necessary with .Net since dlls don't have to be registered as they used to. I have installed SolidWorks Addins by simply placing the files on the hard drive and running them through Regasm manually and dropping them on solidworks, it is really easy. The great thing is if you have an addin project that has 6 dlls in it you only have to register the main dll that is the addin itself all the supporting dlls don't need to be compiled.

I have created a few addins for solidworks using VB.NET 2005 Express. I have also worked with an addin using VB6. I find the interface for VB.net 2005 is much more intuitive and has a code finisher that is lightyears beyond what VB6 has. You can also add descriptions to your methods that will show up in the code finisher so you know what each sub does without having to go review it in your code or notes. You can inherit objects so if you have an object that is close to what you need a new class to be you can inherit it and add and block properties as desired, greatly speeding up development. I feel hands down that Visual Studio Express 2005 is going to be the best choice for a person who is just getting their feet wet. It is extreemely powerful and intuitive and feature rich, and won't require a paradigm shift in a few years. Transition to macro language isn't too steep you are just more limited in what you can do as compared with .NET.

That70sTick wrote:

Reply to
CS

Maybe I'm worng.

The VB versi> . "BTW "express" versions do not allow you to

Reply to
That70sTick