IV User's Perspective of SWW

Here's my take on SWW 2005...

Day 1

2
3
Day 3 has the 2006 new features...

Reply to
Sean Dotson

Snip and then quoting from your first day report

points that > SWX needs to improve to stay ahead of the market.

  1. ease of use
  2. reliability
  3. large assembly performance
  4. large drawing performance
  5. add value and innovation

It could be argued that he's never had to change the slide because they have never made any of the improvements, with the exception of item 5! For all of the changes in the user interface, I'm not so sure that it has really gotten much easier to use. I certainly haven't seen any increase in reliability since I started using SW98+. Quite the contrary, in fact, as 98+ seemed to be rock solid. Large assembly and drawing performance still suck. I went to SWW 2000 and there were promises that the next release would have big improvements in performance. I never saw any real improvement, and I don't remember anyone on the newsgroup claiming that they had seem any either.

I'm glad to see that they've hired Richard Doyle. I hope he and Mark Biasotti will have some real influence on SW.

Jerry Steiger

Sean,

Now you see how I justify my Inventurds comment. ;p

-Jeff

6 year solidworks noobie.
Reply to
Jeff N

Well now let's not go that far. I think Inventor is a good tool. Personally I dislike SWX's user interface. Funny thing is that some of the SWXs guys agreed that IV had the better UI however they still chose SWX. So maybe if I can get past the UI I'll see some of the other benefits.

I'm willing to admit when (if) I'm wrong. After I do some testing I'll be sure to let everyone know of my findings.

Reply to
Sean Dotson

Thanks Sean, that was a good read. Your unbiased reporting makes you a star, be it for Inventor or solidworks.

Ps, bet you change over to join us !! lol :-P

Reply to
pete

Jerry,

Couldn't agree more. I choose to drop my maintenance this year for financial and practical reasons. I have not been happy with SW performance for pay and even less with their cavalier attitude of dropping service pack support annually in favor of the next release. SolidWorks 2004/SP5.0 is unfinished and in need of additional service packs to correct problems. There are plenty of good reasons for some customers to not upgrade and SW shouldn't leave them hanging.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Sean Great reports - felt like I was there !

I appreciate your candor and honesty re swks and IV ... makes such a refreshing change from the usual my xxxxx is better/bigger/faster than your yyyyy. You made some great points, and a very interesting read.

Reply to
HumanAmp