Kinda Off Topic: Upgrade from R14 to 2006 required before XP SP2?

Hey all, Sorry this is off topic, but we use SW and AutoCrap R14 at work, and I need info on this and was hoping someone in here would have experience with this. Autodesk just wants to sell more product so I can't get a good answer out of them.... My IT department at work claims that AutoDesk Tech Support told them AutoCad R14 will not, under any circumstances, run under Windows XP SP2, and that they would have to upgrade to AutoCad 2006 (at great expense) if they want to reap the benefits of XP SP2. Is this true? If we have XP and R14 running, and we upgrade XP to SP2, will R14 stop working? If so, is there a work around? I figure maybe like opening a port, or creating an exception or something like that? If anyone can answer this it would be SOOOOO helpful, thanks! NB Dallas TX USA

Reply to
nb

Are you currently running it on SP1.0 Autodesk claims that nothing before 2000i or 2002 (one of those) will run on XP at all. I am currently running 2000 on XP SP1 which they ademently claim will not run on XP. I think I am going to be installing SP2 tomorrow. I will let you know if it mungs up Acad2000. Go for it. Besides SW has the drawing editor. Thought I have noticed some minor problems with it.

Corey

Reply to
CS

we've been running autocad r14 on windows xp for about 3 years with no problems, hotfixes have been installed, none of those has ever messed up r14. i got out an old unused hard drive out out of my closet, i'm putting xp on now, then r14 then sp2, we'll see what happens, i'll keep everybody posted what i find out with my test thanks!

Reply to
nb

We've been running Acad R14 with Windows XP SP2 with no problems.

Brian

Reply to
brian

Use R14 with XP SP2 all the time. No problems what so ever.

nb wrote:

Reply to
Double Ace

I wonder what you'd get if you asked them to put that in writing?

Think I'd look into keeping a junker machine around (Win 3.11 ? ) to run it on or take a serious look at replacing r14 with some cheap OpenDWG program before I'd support that dying program. With the possible exception of a handful of disiplines, I can't understand why anyone would "upgrade" Acad. I'd rather invest in Enron.

Reply to
Jeff Howard