laptop recommendations?

I would like to buy a good laptop to run SW and COSMOSWorks. Would you have any suggestions what should I get (and what not to get), especially in terms
of graphic cards?
thanks
Paul
Dell's M50 or the M60 with the Quadro card
Regards, Scott

have
terms
dont - get a video card with less than 64mb. try hard to have nvidia card.
I really liked the Toshiba Satellite 5200 Series but they might be phased out in the us. check the Canadian site maybe?:!?
Dom
Pkurowski wrote:

Go for the M50, rather than trying to save a bit of money with a non Quadro card. I bought a Dell Latitude C840 with a 64mb Nvidia Go440 and am still having some problems with it and messing about with the drivers and settings. Appears that Softquadro isn't as easy with mobile cards. A friend bought a M50 for 1800 (US$2700) with a good spec - 1Gb Ram, Quadro Go700, 2.4Ghz P4M, XP pro and Office XP all loaded - 400 more than I paid for my C840 - definitely a good deal. If you do decide to go for one of the Geforce Go cards, Mike Wilson has written some fantastic stuff on hacking the cards - see http://makeashorterlink.com/?S131513B5
We have an operation called EuroPC in the UK - sell returned Dell goods at a healthy discount. Some of these are returned due to faults and are sold on with only a 1 month warranty (scary!) - but they have the occasional failed order, where you get a full Dell 3 year warranty and a brand new machine, loaded with goodies for a cracking price. Funnily enough these guys are the second fastest growing company in the UK last year! Dunno if you have something similar in the US or Canada - well worth digging out if you can find it. Regards Deri

have
terms
dont get any that come with ati cards.
Look into Alienware, there laptop outperforms Dell.
If your going to look at Alienware... first look at the Sager's too.
Forgot about the Sagers http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html
Regards, Scott

I looked at the alienware machines as well as they also seem to exist in the UK - they smoked the new Dell deals right enough and look the business, but there seemed to be a fair bit of disquiet about delivery times and customer support (I know there is with Dell as well, but percentage wise it felt higher). Alienware, Sager and several other suppliers on both sides of the pond (AJP and PICO in the UK for two) all seem to use a base unit supplied by a Taiwanese OEM called Clevo. I guess it depends on the HD's and quality of RAM fitted and mark up to make the difference in price between the different suppliers. I still feel an M50 (or M60 if you have the bucks) from a Dell "reseller" offering sensible prices or similar will provide the best tool for running Solidworks well with minimal hassle - seems to do the job straight out of the box with no hassle, sufficent performance for the majority of tasks and no bad reviews from people on this site as far as I can tell. If you can't find a good deal on a Dell then one of the Clevo clones will be the next best things - but beware of getting one with a non Quadro card and from my research I'd agree with the comments on the ATI cards. Best of luck! Deri

I have a Dell M60 with the Nvidia Quadro FX Go 700 and I'm very pleased with it so far....seems to handle just about anything. (2Gig ram) Krister
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:Z8M5b.68822$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.bloor.is.net.cable .rogers.com...

have
terms