laptop recommendations?

I would like to buy a good laptop to run SW and COSMOSWorks. Would you have any suggestions what should I get (and what not to get), especially in terms of graphic cards?

thanks

Paul

Reply to
Pkurowski

Dell's M50 or the M60 with the Quadro card

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

dont - get a video card with less than 64mb. try hard to have nvidia card.

I really liked the Toshiba Satellite 5200 Series but they might be phased out in the us. check the Canadian site maybe?:!?

Dom

Pkurowski wrote:

Reply to
Flipper

Go for the M50, rather than trying to save a bit of money with a non Quadro card. I bought a Dell Latitude C840 with a 64mb Nvidia Go440 and am still having some problems with it and messing about with the drivers and settings. Appears that Softquadro isn't as easy with mobile cards. A friend bought a M50 for £1800 (US$2700) with a good spec - 1Gb Ram, Quadro Go700,

Reply to
Deri Jones

dont get any that come with ati cards.

Reply to
Sean Phillips

Look into Alienware, there laptop outperforms Dell.

Reply to
Jeff Parker

If your going to look at Alienware... first look at the Sager's too.

Forgot about the Sagers

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

I have a Dell M60 with the Nvidia Quadro FX Go 700 and I'm very pleased with it so far....seems to handle just about anything. (2Gig ram) Krister

Pkurowski skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:Z8M5b.68822$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.bloor.is.net.cable .rogers.com...

Reply to
Krister L

I looked at the alienware machines as well as they also seem to exist in the UK - they smoked the new Dell deals right enough and look the business, but there seemed to be a fair bit of disquiet about delivery times and customer support (I know there is with Dell as well, but percentage wise it felt higher). Alienware, Sager and several other suppliers on both sides of the pond (AJP and PICO in the UK for two) all seem to use a base unit supplied by a Taiwanese OEM called Clevo. I guess it depends on the HD's and quality of RAM fitted and mark up to make the difference in price between the different suppliers. I still feel an M50 (or M60 if you have the bucks) from a Dell "reseller" offering sensible prices or similar will provide the best tool for running Solidworks well with minimal hassle - seems to do the job straight out of the box with no hassle, sufficent performance for the majority of tasks and no bad reviews from people on this site as far as I can tell. If you can't find a good deal on a Dell then one of the Clevo clones will be the next best things - but beware of getting one with a non Quadro card and from my research I'd agree with the comments on the ATI cards. Best of luck! Deri

Reply to
Deri Jones