Laptop suggestions

I am looking for a second laptop as a backup machine. Some Solidworks use, but not my primary machine. In the PIII 1.Ghz range. I have narrowed it to the Dell 8100 and the Gateway Solo 9550. I am only considering a machine with Nvidia graphics. Any other Open GL laptop solutions out there that work with SW beside nvidia? Any comments / experiences.

Reply to
clay

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 laptop with the GeForce4 Go video chip and wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. It suffers from the classic slowness when multiple windows are open. Completely unusable for anything but the simplest of parts/assemblies.

My 2 cents,

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

I have a Dell 8200 with the same card (I would think). After Rivatuner and SoftQuadro, it runs BRILLIANTLY... Have you tried yet?

After patching, I bet you really wouldn't want to recommend it to your worst enemy ;-)

Jim Sculley wrote:

Reply to
D. Short

I have actually used a Toshiba satellite with the Geforce 4 Go card and it wasnt bad at all. Although I didnt have a lot of windows open. Maybe you should check drivers and settings?

Reply to
Todd

Have a SoftQuadro and smile :-)

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Markku,

Do you know if Soft Quadro would allow realview on an FX Go5650 running SWX2004?

Sincerely, Jerry Forcier

Markku Lehtola wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

Noup, sorry. Just played with old GeForce2 GO and FX 5?00 lately. And I propably installed SW without realview in both cases.

If you have time to try it...why not, I guess it's impossible to brake anything (?) :-)...just don't worry if the first try don't make it..

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Not yet.

If I get the time, I'll give it a try and report back. Happily, I'm back in the office again and don't have to work from the laptop anymore.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley