Loft to a line and other stuff that makes me go crazy

OK so it just the little things that should work but don't.

Draw a circle profile, draw a line profile........ Now try to loft..... Surface or Boss.......ARGH!!!!!!!!!! If you can loft to a "point", and this is just my crazy thinking, then a line should be possible as well.

Make a cube, Shell it................Now try and find a way to pick the inside surface so that you can offset it at 0" (essentially a surface copy) without having to do some work around to select all.

Give the option to have "merged results" turned off for Base features, without the work around of having to do a weldment first.

Sweeps with 3D Sketching (ie profile, path and guide curves all in one sketch like lofts and boundary surface)

Ok thats my rant for this morning, I think i just out on the wrong side of the bed......

Reply to
Cadjunkie

The reason for this is that a line is "open" and a circle is "closed". A point can be viewed as a "closed" circle with zero radius, and can thus be used to create a loft with another closed contour.

You can loft half a circle or ellipse to a line. Maybe do this in two parts? Even easier if the parts are symmetric.

Reply to
That70sTick

Agreed! When you then select the Shell Feature in the FM all of the surfaces created by the Shell highlight, but you can't use that as a selection to do a Offset/Copy Surface.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Yeah, I mean I do understand about the line and circle don't loft, but the down side to doing half a circle as a profile is that when you mirror you get the isp[arm carrying across and I dont want that. in some cases i want as smooth a surface as possible.

My work around for the Shell issues was to do manual shell by doing a surface offset first, the wall thickness that i am looking for, and then "cut with surface". This way I can use that for later features.

Reply to
Cadjunkie