MAC and PC

You've all heard the rumor that Bill Gate's house was designed on a Mac. For the past few months I have been searching for Mechanical Engineering CAD programs for the MAC. I have not been able to find any, they just do not exist. I was able to find out something very interesting to the users of Solid Works Though. The mechanical design and engineering for the Macintosh has been designed on Solid Works. Remember, solid works does not run on a Mac. It only runs on a PC.

George Hobart

Reply to
George Hobart

Could have been.

Sure they do.

And other programs throughout the years.

So what? Mac's are not FOR engineers.

Reply to
Dave Van

I think the point was that Macintosh is using PCs / Windows to design their hardware. Using the competitors product to get yours out. It really is a funny thing when you think about it.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Here's the article on Architosh used on the Gates house but what does it matter what design software was used or on what computer?? There are many architecture design software tools which could have helped design that house.

And, yes, there are many different design tools which have been used too design Apple products. SolidWorks has recently been used. But, there have been many tools used, Pro/e, UG, Vellum, Alias... So,.... what is your point.... that SW Corp and other Windows/Unix mechanical design tools are not willing to compile their code for OS X? If they do not have enough mac users, and mac programmers, they are not going to port them, it's that simple. I'm sure there are many users who what to see their favorite windoze or unix program on OS X.

I agree there are not a lot of engineering tools on the mac but there are engineering design tools, 2D and 3D or CAID, which are on the mac...

Cobalt -

-
-
-
MathWorks MatLab Mathematica

Otherwise, there are a lot of 2d/3d architectural tools (SketchUp 3D has one the the kewlist interfaces) on the mac and many 3D animation/studio tools used on the mac.

..

George Hobart wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Actually in school we were running C++ on unix machines through a module that was Windows running within Unix. The same can be done on a MAC with the right software.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Just as an aside with some more information on Apple. Apple has used at least a couple different CAD programs in the past, depending on what was being done. The 2D CAD program PowerCADD by Engineered Software was used for some things. Ashlar's 3D solids program now called Cobalt using ACIS, is on the Mac & PC, but doesn't rival SolidWorks for features & ease of use based on my limited use.

I have no doubt that the actual Apple computers were designed on solids software for a long time, but what preceeded SolidWorks, I don't know. Maybe ProEngineer.

I love both PowerCADD and Solidworks, and my Dell M60 and my Macs. 2D still has its place for pure design brainstorming, quick shop changes, field sketches and accurate illustrations with complete artistic control of all elements in a drawing for publication.

SolidWorks will work, albiet slowly, in emulation with what is now Microsoft's Virtual PC on G4 Macs. I'm hoping the new VPC due to be released shortly with the next new updated G5 PowerMacs will get that emulation speed up to where Solidworks editing and management issues are practical on the Mac.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

Meaning... running under a emulator such as X-windows or... Virtual PC, Wine, SoftMac, Blue Label,... Emulators are not very efficient but they are an alternative.

..

Corey Scheich wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Where on earth did you get this bit of misinformation?

When I was at Apple (98-99), I saw not hide nor hair of SolidWorks. We designed on H-P and Sun Unix workstations, using UniGraphics and Pro/E, working around "A" surface geometry generated by Alias. SW simply does not have the capability that Apple needs.

I'm still in touch with friends there, and as of January 2004, they were still doing it the same way.

Reply to
TheTick

Depends on what group.. but from a few people I know there, they have been using it recently (not a lot of users). For layouts or sheetmetal, you don't need class A (you can get close w/SW or with add-on's). And, as you know, if need be, you can export your Parasolids to UG and directly manipulate the data there.

..

TheTick wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I had forgotten the terminology. I know that it wouldn't be an ideal situation, but possible.

animation/studio

Corey Scheich

Ahhh.... PowerCADD ..... my favourite 2D program - Still nothing close on a PC ! I went PC for solidworks in 1997, no regrets (and I was a real mac zealot!) But I WISH powercadd worked on the PC. (also anyone remember swivel 3D ... awsome for quick n dirty 3D .. solidworks only just caught up with its limited mates in 2004 ... swivel had these in 1989 !)

OK I have an old mac too and also the brilliant Softmac running on the PC ...

great site for pc secrets too) but its not quite the same as having native software. mark UK

Reply to
Mark Sanders

Interesting on all sides.

A plugged in exec. noted to me the other day that Unigraphics may have to be sold becasuse of U.S. anti-trust issues. Wonder who would buy it?

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

Mark, if you haven't tried PowerCADD 6 on the newer G4s or G5 desktop with new enhancements all over the board, it might be worth looking at as PowerCADD has become even better in so many areas.

I still prefer PowerCADD for the ability to literally sketch in the field where my quick work in 2D really flies so I can get in measure and get out in a hurry.

I must say that moving dxf files to and from Solidworks is effortless.

Bo snipped-for-privacy@tilikum.com

Reply to
Bo Clawson

It is possible that sub contractors are using SWX.

Reply to
Brian Bahr

This is not true. Since approximately 1999, The Apple design studio has been using Alias Studio for concept design and design approval (ID). They implement production design (ME) with Unigraphics, which is now called NX (combined UG and SDRC).

Reply to
Mark Biasotti