making glass

I realise that this is probably a pretty basic question, but, how do I change something into a "transparent plane" basically I want to show that something is glass or acrylic

thanks

Mathew birtch

Reply to
Mathew Birtch

In a Part file: Tools -> Options (Document Properties tab) -> Color -> Shading ->

Advanced -> Transparency slider bar.

In an Assembly: Right-click on component either in graphics window or FeatureManager design tree and choose Component Properties -> Color -> Advanced ->

Transparency slider bar.

The first affects the part transparency in all instances everywhere it's used. The second affects the part transparency only in the specific assembly where you make the change.

Note you can also change specific Features in the same fashion AND specific Faces (for instance, make an Extrusion feature transparent or make just the end of the Extrusion transparent).

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Charlotte, NC

Mathew Birtch wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

A couple ways:

-Edit Color; Optical Properties, Transparency.

-RMB on face or feature; Properties; Advanced; Transparency.

..

Mathew Birtch wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

ok, that worked but it made everything transparent.... I want to have glass in a frame, should I make it a new part and make an assembly? keeping the frame solid and making the glass transparent

Reply to
Mathew Birtch

where is this "edit color" option? same deal with RBM?

sorry, I am very new with this software

Reply to
Mathew Birtch

Go to "Help" or "?", search for "edit color". RMB = Right Mouse Button.

..

Mathew Birtch wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

That's probably what I would do, but you might be able to do it by just changing the transparency of a feature (the feature that formed the window) or faces (the faces that form the window) as Sporky noted below

Jerry Steiger