Merge Smooth Faces Problem

Yep, the pierce losses it's relation but once it is re-pierced it holds after a ctrl-q.

As for the file sizes, I don't see how the material applied has anything to do with it?

When I save Arlins model, it is 64 megs!! It's absolutely riciculous how much they inflate though!!

The time wasted in saving is totally unproductive!!

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

just wondering how much your work files have grown Paul - seems to me a 60mb used to be pretty big and called for a lot of ram - does this growth equate to even more ram needed or is it just passive baggage?

Reply to
neil

Neil,

Good question... I did some test and on average my project files grow

10-20% using SW2004. In some cases there are files which increase 50%+. In in all, save time is longer. As for memory, it's about the same. The interface seems slower, the windows appear slower. So they are storing something extra with the SW2004 files?

Did everyone also notice the "Image Quality" now does not have the 3 generic settings? Now there is only a slide bar? Why was this changed??? I find it very hard to believe that the majority of the users requested that this be changed?? Why?? I don't get it, 3 simple easy settings removed for what reason?????

How about adding something productive like an integrated font dialog...

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

when you look at the flexytube file growth it would seem to be quite startling...perhaps there is a revision of the way surfaces are stored as well as texture info, are the files you observed to be increasing 50 %+ surface rich? as for image quality ...well I always seemed to be accessing the custom setting to make it less visually coarse for the type of work I do so I wouldn't mind that one-

Reply to
neil

Well, I never have been a huge, adamant supporter of fewer features. I am much more concerned with: #1-design intent #2-stability #3-clarity and ease of understanding the model. More features can make it easier to 'replay' the model and figure it out. #4-speed in that order.

Some I think are too concerned with the length of the tree. In some instances, more features can improve performance. We showed that with feature patterns vs. sketch 'step and repeat.'

Yes, if that 'merge smooth faces' option worked properly in the first place with the construction line in the sketch, this would be a MUCH simpler model.

Reply to
Arlin

Well, the only idea I have is they changed to a different tesselation algorithm for PW2, Hoops or the third party mesh access (PDM/EDM)?? Again, it is useless information for most of us! Me especially, it is TOTALLY USELESS, it waste my time!!!!

Give the user a option to NOT save the tesselation!@!

As for the generic image quality settings, I used them ALL the time, it was easy, a no brainer!

aaarrrggghhh.....

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Just a thought...

To further improve this model, it would be useful to set up an equation defining the number of segments for the tube. Thus, if the spline changes length, you would never need to manually change the number of instances in the curve driven pattern.

Thus, we need some method to get the length of the path and put it into our equation. Not sure how, maybe a Macro Feature? I think spline length has been discussed here before...

Reply to
Arlin