Need a new video card quickly

hi all.

My video card just died.

Can anybody give me a good recommendation for a good card for SW? (Besides just looking at SW's card list online)

I want a good card, but don't want to spend USD1000's on it. Currently have a quadro2-pro.

SW2004, Win2k.

thx, john

Reply to
John E. Rotten

I recently bought a Quadro4 GXL550 off ebay for ~$80, for my home machine, seems to work well, enough. I haven't pushed it though as I'm too busy at work lately and I don't think RealView works.

2¢ Whit

"John E. Rotten" wrote:

Reply to
wc

Quadro4 750 XGL Video Card, AGP 4X, 128MB DDR should be ok shouldn't it?

Is nvidia still the best bang-4-the-buck? Or should I look at ATI or 3dlabs?

thx, john

wc wrote:

Reply to
John E. Rotten

yes & yes

Reply to
kenneth b

SHOULD THAT be "yes" & "yes" & "no"? :)

-jojhn

Reply to
John E. Rotten

Uh...yup, I think 8o)

I don't know what SW2005 requires, but thru 2004 any of the Quadro4's from 550 on up will do quite well, and are rather inexpensive on ebay these days, though I don't think you get the 'geewhiz' RealView unless you spend the $$$'s.

"John E. Rotten" wrote:

Reply to
wc

I've been very satisfied with my QuadroFX 1100 for custom machine assemblies averaging 800, but up to 2000 components.

Currently $615.00 new.

Dale Dunn

John,

The Quadro4 750 XGL Video Card is a great card. That is what I have and highly recommend it if you are on a budget and not doing any very large assemblies. There is of course better, but....$$$ I think this card is one of the better "bang for the buck" deals.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

ordered it about 2 hours ago. should be here tomorrow.

thx guys.

-john

Reply to
John E. Rotten

I know you already have a card coming, but offer this up to anybody who is still reading. I used to sing ATI's praises, especially for their FireGL line, which is now still their best AGP stuff but has been "better" by the latest ATIxpress stuff.

Since SW 2005, when using SW itself, the FireGL card is still a very nice bang for th ebuck deal. However, when using DWGEditor, there are graphic annomolies that are aggravating. I have tried it on a different box with a different card, and those annomolies disappear, but that card isn't as good in SW.

So, you take the good with the bad in some cases.

Mr. Pickles

Reply to
Mr. Pickles