Precise positioning of the text.

Hi, I am working through the Help files in search of how to control precise positioning of the text entities in the title block. I am talking about Drawing N°, Description, Dates, Author, e.t.c. So far - no dice. Could anyone point me into the right direction, please? Thanks in advance, Igor.

Reply to
Igor Mironenko

You'll notice 4 handles on the text, these are also the snap points. Drag on them like you would a leader or such and they should snap (kind of...) to other entities. It's very half-assed though. Turning the grid on actually helps in this instance since you can zoom in and try snapping those points consistently to the grid, but even then they're off a little.

The best solution and the one I've always used for title blocks, is going into AutoCAD and exporting a 2000 DWG to import as a new block. I think it's under Tools > Blocks > New > (Link to file) and then optionally explode it or unlink to file once it's under your Blocks folder.

The included DWGEditor should work pretty well in case you don't have ACAD. The version 2000 format seems to retain font sizes and text wrapping properly as well.

Reply to
deimos

Thank you, Deimos. I was trying to create a TB within the SW, without deploying Acad for that. But I do have Acad anyway.

Regards,

Igor.

Reply to
Igor Mironenko

I believe that this is one of the drawing features that is supposed to be fixed in SW2007.

Jerry Steiger

Until then we are eye balling, I guess?

To reply please use snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au address

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Steiger" Newsgroups: comp.cad.solidworks Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:16 AM Subject: Re: Precise positioning of the text.

Reply to
Igor Mironenko

A few techniques that have helped us precisely position text:

  1. If the text needs to be centered between two elements (such as two vertical lines) we use the normal SW Align > Center command.

  1. If the text needs to be positioned at a specific distance from an element, we draw a temporary line at the desired dimension and use it as a guide to position the text. For example, if the "D" in "Drawing No." needs to be positioned .25" from a vertical line we draw a temporary horizontal line .25"-long, position it perpendicular to the target vertical line, then position the "D" at the end of the horizontal line. This technique is not elegant but it is precise.

  2. Often the text will snap to an adjacent element. This can be avoided by pressing ALT while positioning the text.

Marc

Reply to
cadmgr2004

That is perfect, thank you Marc. I have figured out some of what you have described, but offsetting lines didn't come to mind. One question if you don't mind. When I move text see some sort of projected lines. They are obviously related to something (some other entities in the sketch) but which ones?

On a side note it would be convenient if location of the text could be specified from a Temporary Coordinate System.

Best regards,

Igor.

Reply to
Igor Mironenko

A feature I truly despise is how SW likes to align notes and certain dimensions to other annotations dependent on _where_ you clicked on the text and uses that as a center point for alignment instead of the dead center of the object. Like balloon callouts for example or bend notes. And why you can't just tell a bend note to just *sit* on the bend line is beyond me.

Reply to
deimos

Reply to
Jason