Hole callouts

I've not used Hole Callouts that much, as I've not yet figured out how to customise the file that determines the format of the annotation.

However, today I needed to quickly identify the size of a hole on a drawing, so I used one. It produced a very misleading result. This was because the face on which I defined the hole had a "near side" chamfer, but in the drawing I was viewing the part from the opposite side. The hole callout still said the chamfer was "near side", when on the drawing it was really "far side".

Is this a recent bug, or is it just a limitation of the functionality that the hole callouts can't recognise which end of the hole you are looking at?

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

I've run into several issues with hole callouts in SW2006 that I didn't have in SW2005. I have yet to report any (shame on me), but this could be part of what your seeing as well.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

"Seth Renigar" wrote in news:_Dxlg.32226$ snipped-for-privacy@southeast.rr.com:

I've given up reporting issues on hole callouts. They can't be relied on to give accurate info on holes of any complexity but the very simplest. In most cases, I have to verify that it is actually giving a correct description. A lot of the time I have a simple hole, and it is correct. For the rest, I have to build a hole callout manually.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I do agree with the others that the Hole Callout is still lacking in functionality, but in this case there is a legitimate answer (all tho I don't like, and you probably won't it either)...

SW Hole Callouts follow ANSI Standards which say no Hidden Lines are to be dimensioned...therefore everything is expected to be dimensioned from the Near Side. So SW doesn't prevent you from dimensioning from the Far Side, but the callout will be the same whether you are dimensioning from the Near or Far side...so watch out.

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

"Tin Man" wrote

What happens if you have a hole that is counterbored on the near side and countersunk on the far side?

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

Yeah....but I meant that the hole callout would list the countersink, even if it was on the opposite side and therefore hidden - it wouldn't comply with the ANSI standard,

John

Reply to
John H