Random array?

I was looking for some advice please:

I have a container where I have modeled a simple cylinder and need to array it 500 times. However, i don't want it to appear uniform because I want it to look like someone just dropped these 500 plugs in there to appear realistic. What is the best function to use? I have been using Solidworks for 2 years and taken several classes, however this was never covered, nor is it in the tutorials. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Mike

Make a sketch with 500 random points and use a "Sketch" driven pattern

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

If I understand you correctly, you are wanting to basically fill the cylinder with 500 plugs?!?!

One way I can think of, but have never tried, is to use a simulation. Insert 500 plugs into the assembly, above the cylinder. Fix the cylinder in location. Add a gravity simulation element. Let gravity fill the cylinder.

Let us know how this works for you.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

By the way, calculating this may take quite a bit of time with this many parts (if it is even possible, dunno!)

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I apologize, I was not totally clear. I have a clear container. I have to model it showing 500 earplugs. The earplugs are simple cylinders. I was looking for for a end result of something looking like i dropped the 500 ear plugs into the container. They would be on different axis, rotations, etc (just like in real life).

Seth Renigar wrote:

Reply to
Mike

Still, the simulation seems a logical solution. They will fall into the container and once they contact other earplugs, they will re-orient themselves to drop further. In theory, the end result should be just like dropping 500 real parts into a container. They will go, wherever...

But, like I said, I have never done this exact simulation with so many parts. It may be more than your system can handle (or even any system?!?!). You will just have to try it and see...

Reply to
Seth Renigar

How about taking some photos and wrapping it around the cylinder using photoworks? Just a thought :-)

Reply to
pete

Reply to
Brian Putnam

in theory, you will only need to show those objects which are exposed to visible light. the core can be solid. unfortunately i think the assy/sub-assy would be best route. creat a small sub-assy with desired random pattern and pattern the sub-assy in main assy.

Reply to
kb

Maybe, the photoworks sounds like the quickest solution, especially to avoid memeory issues...

I could still rotate it and have the same effect..

I apprecate the help everyone!

kb wrote:

Reply to
Mike

Yeah, me too. I thought it would be a pretty cool simulation if it actually worked. I got about 12 to work ok. I now have 20 cylinders that have been computing for about 1.5 hours. Good thing I haven't needed to use SW for a while now. Don't look like this is a viable solution... But it seemed logical anyway... :-)

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Not that is that helpful to you but I thought I would mention in passing that Blender has the ability to import collision physics to an animation so you could show the plugs falling into a container and settling in a realistic way or just render the final frame.Somewhere I used to have a short .avi showing a bowl being filled with chairs but I can't find it unfortunately... :o)

Reply to
neil

Could you lay the cylinder over drop 10 plugs into a segment of the cylinder and copy the result to go all the way around the container? maybe do a couple of simulations so you get a more varied pattern?

Doug T

Seth Renigar wrote:

Reply to
Doug T