Re: CNC Programmer wanted in San Diego

Are these wages right?
<http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=CNC+Programmer+-+Solidworks&l1=San+Diego % 2C+CA>
Good luck finding anyone.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

Type florida in the box and it drops 10000 a year. Well, i typed in shit cleaner and it pays 18,000 a year, so at least I can survive after the last shop goes to china.

Damn..I typed in my job.....I'm way underpaid :/
--
Anthony

These clowns at "Indeed" are a little out of touch. Looks like wages from 10 years ago. You can add about $10/hr to most any of those San Diego jobs.
Matt

Hey Matt,
How are you doing?
Do you know anything about TOP 200's? I know a feller that bought a used one for a song and he's trying to resurrect it.
Right now he's got an E-Stop alarm on power up, he's thinking it's air related but can't find a flow sensor or pressure switch.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

Hey Dan,
Things got a little toasty here in Escondido. Picked up a bag of marshmallows and I was ready! The fire got within a mile or so, and then the damn wind changed direction. Didn't get lucky enough to have the shop burn up:-) A fresh start with the insurance money would have been sweet.
The TOP-200. What a machine. Built about 10 years before it's time. Blew most people away. The biggest problem with that machine was trying to decide which end of the part to run first, because you could do as much with the sub-spindle as you could with the main spindle. That thing was so damn accurate that one time we had to run a macro to make the diameters vary by .0001 or two so the test parts would pass SPC! The first batch failed because it flat-lined on the chart. Sheesh! First time I ever saw parts rejected because they were too good!!
As far as the E-stop problem.........good question. I don't know much about them, but I believe the ladder was similar to all the other Tornos machines. Lack of air pressure would throw up an alarm, and not allow you to run, but it shouldn't put it in E-stop.
We only sold a couple of those machines in this country. Consequently, there's only two guys in this country that really know's anything about them. The tech that did the installations (and service) no longer works for Tornos. But I can track him down, if you'd like.
Your best bet is to call the service manager, Roland Schutz, @ Tornos. He's an electronics guru and probably still has the schematics memorized! Phone number: 203-775-4319
Good luck........... and I'll throw one on the barbe for ya!
Matt

used
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. This week was nuts.
Anyway, I lusted after the TOP 200 and TOP 100's when they were new. It's a shame that they've lost their way these days IMO. They were on the right track back then, just a little too spendy for most budgets.
I'll pass along Roland's number and see if that gets him anywhere.
Glad to hear you haven't roasted.
Thanks again.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 01:42:49 -0700, jon_banquer

Jon,
What is the hourly wage for a Journeyman Machinist in San Diego?
Tom
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:16:49 -0700, jon_banquer

Jon
As usual you won't answer a simple question that is DIRECTLY MATERIAL to the point you're trying to make.
You're the one that says there is a shortage of machinists in San Diego. I said I had no trouble hiring machinists in San Diego and that it is more likely the shortage you report is a shortage of journeyman machinists willing to work for operator wages.
Its not a trick question, it is simple and direct. What do YOU feel is the hourly wage for a Journeyman Machinists in San Diego?
Why are you ducking the question and having such difficulty providing the answer to a simple direct question?
Tom
That website is in gross error.
I typed in Engineer Level IV and got a salary of $74k. I typed in Engineer Level V and got a salary of $66k.
Why would an engineer of a higher grade get a lower salary?

I think what it does is take an average of current job listings. So if some cheap joint is looking to hire it skews the numbers.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

It might also reflect a sampling error, how many of each grade answered the questionare. And more likely, an organization that has more grades will likley have flattened the curve.. An org. with say ten grades in personel will have a lower net pay for a grade five than an org with with only five total grades. Add in a little skew for not as many respondandts at the higher grade, and you get a tilted result.