Re: Revolved surface question

It would normally be preferable to use extrude for the rib so that it is constant thickness: if you revolve the sketch, the rib will get progressively thicker towards the outer edge. This will take care of the thickness issue. (You will need draft so the part will release from the mold, but without knowing where your mold is split I can't meaningfully recommend how to handle this. The easiest way is probably to use extrude with draft, from a sketch lying on (or parallel to) the split plane for the mold.

If the (say) outer edge needs to be cylindrical, extrude the rib bigger than you need, then use a cut-revolve to "lathe turn" the edges back to the desired diameter.

If you make one rib, you can use Insert/Pattern|Mirror/Circular Pattern to create the rest.

Hello, > > I'm modeling a simple plastic part and I have a question. > This part consist of a cylindrical section 1.00 in dia. and .75 high. I

need to add 6 ribs in the

1" dia., 1.75 dia X .09 wide. > I created the rib profile on the plate. How do I revolve the first rib to

.09 thickness? Do I need

to calculate the angle of rotation? > Running SW2001+ > > Thank you for your help.
Reply to
Andrew Troup

Another option is to use the Rib feature. It is somewhat limited though check the help files. What you need to make sure is that the ends of your rib sketch need to not be coincident to the surfaces you want them to hit. If you leave a gap even .001 you can put a dimension if you want. I know this is in 2003 but am not sure when it was added. Then you could convert entities from your sketch and cut revolve. (this is a place where shared sketches can be quite handy)

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

After looking at it a bit it isn't as limited as I thought. Just kindof misunderstood. I also forgot to mention that you can add Draft and you have a few options as to which way you want to add it.

Reply to
Corey Scheich