Continuous CPU Anomoly

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? We still experience the task manager reporting CPU usage at 10-25% during large assembly drawing saves and have tried a lot of things to no avail.

Reply to
Jeff Norfolk

Jeff,

What is the problem with the CPU usage?

Reply to
Todd

If it is saving, why would you expect it to be at 100%? Saving is disk-writing or writing to the network which is much more of a speed thing then the processor running.

I would be much more concerned with network speeds then CPU usage.

Reply to
Todd

Todd,

I pulled an old thread regarding this. I couldn't reply to it, I guess cause it was older than 6 months, so those not using google won't see it. I didn't really think of that before now. This is obvious, but simply search on thru google to find the old 'Continuous CPU Anomoly' thread.

Reply to
Jeff Norfolk

Jeff,

After reading through that thread, I think you are talking about something different completely. What that thread is talking about is simply starting SolidWorks, starting any new part/assy/or drawing and then checking the task manager. What their problem is, is that the task manager is reporting high CPU usage when doing nothing. Basically sitting idle.

From what I gather, your question refers to CPU usage while saving, which sounds to me to be perfectly normal; yet a different topic altogether then what they are talking about.

Let me know if I misunderstood your question.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

Hi Jeff,

I think I was the one that started the thread way back. I finally found that the culprit was my hotkey file (user.cus). Our IT guy uninstalled SWX and stripped the registry. He reinstalled SWX and I fired it up. The task manager reported between 0-3% activity. I then proceeded to set-up all of my custom crap and when I started SWX the second time I was back to 28-35% cpu usage doing nothing. I then removed the custom stuff and added it one by one. It turned out to be the .cus file. I think I've carried that same file release to release since I've owned SWX (95 or 96 I think). After recreating my hotkey file from scratch, it's been back to normal.

Ken Bosch

Reply to
ken.boschSPAMX

This is VERY interesting. Has anyone else seen this? We have also carried our.CUS file forward for a while and I wouldn't have ever thought of the need to recreate it.

WT

that the culprit was my hotkey file (user.cus).

and I fired it up. The task manager reported

and when I started SWX the second time I was

and added it one by one. It turned out to be the

I've owned SWX (95 or 96 I think). After

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Interesting. While I've never customized hotkeys, I think I might have an idea as to what my issue is.

Recently I copied my files to my hard drive to work from. I noticed a huge increase in speed when loading assemblies and saving them. I've come to the conclusion that when trying to save to the network the connection is so slow that the 3GHz CPU doesn't max out because it's constantly waiting for the network lag to catch up. That's the only logic I can come up with because for the most part, the CPU is at 100% when saving to my local drive.

Reply to
Jeff Norfolk

Wayne,

I can't explain what was going on there. I do remember that back in maybe SWX 97 or 99 quite a few of my old hotkeys vanished from the list of available commands in the command list. Even though they were not shown anymore I still got the error saying that key is already used (or whatever it was). The hotkeys still worked as they were intended. My only guess is that some obscure hotkey was activated in 2002-2003 that made some command constantly activated, causing the constant CPU usage.

Ken B.

Reply to
ken.boschSPAMX