Can anyone duplicate this?

Open an assembly, open a sheetmetal part, create a drawing of the sheetmetal part, insert a front view of the folded sheetmetal part. Now insert a flat
pattern of the sheetmetal part. On our two seats here SolidWorks seems to hang without the view being placed. The pointer still moves but there is no view attached to it. Now if we do the 3 finger salute and click on task manager the view is attached to the pointer as expected. I was thinking it was just our installs being hosed up but when I was telling a customer of ours how to place a flatpattern he experienced the same thing and lo & behold he had an assembly open. If no assembly or drawing of an assembly is open then the flat pattern placement works normally. I mentioned this to our VAR AE and he could not duplicate it. We are running SP 3.4 on Window 2000 Pro. Maybe it's an OS problem, can someone try it on XP?
BTW - we discovered the 3 finger salute solution by accident when I thought that SolidWorks was just locked up.
Let us know, Thanks Jeff
Are your parts by any chance read only? When you do this, SW is creating a flat pattern configuration in the background and needs to write to the file.
Not Necessarily Me wrote:

When I do a properties on the sldprt file in explorer the read only box is not checked..

sheetmetal
flat
is no

it
of
assembly is

Window
thought
What about when you open the file, does the top bar of SolidWorks window say Read Only after the name of the file?
Not Necessarily Me wrote:

No, not on the part, assembly or drawing files
I also checked the template files that I use and none of them are set as read only either
Thanks for the ideas, these were things I hadn't thought of.
Jeff

is
Matt, As I said you got me thinking. I had supplied our part templates for sheetmetal parts to the customer that has the same problem. With this in mind as being the only common thread between us and them, I created a sheetmetal part just using the SW supplied part template. Guess what I can insert a flat layout view with an assembly open. Now to discover what happened to our templates.
Thanks for getting me to think outside of the box a bit. Jeff

is
Progress report:
I was thinking maybe the template files were never converted to SW2006. And I was right, but I converted a few and tried to duplicate the problem and it's still there. I don't know where to go now. Any ideas out there?
Thanks in advance Jeff
I would check the configuration settings. That's where it sounds like it's getting hung up.
Not Necessarily Me wrote:

Don't see anything strange there, but I did just discover this: I don't have to bring up the task manager, just activating another window (out of SW) will do the same thing. Another clue?

You're not editing in a part or subassembly context when this happens by any chance, are you?
Not Necessarily Me wrote:

no

window
box
How about this setting:
Tools>Options>External References> Open referenced documents with read-only access?
Not Necessarily Me wrote:

That setting is not checked.
I must have really tweaked your interest on this one. Or as I suspect you're just a really nice guy trying to help out a fellow user, thank you Matt.
Jeff

window
box
What video card & driver are you running?
WT

PNY Quadro FX 500, 6.1.7.6 ...Could this really be a video card issue when a customer of ours has the same issue with different hardware? I take it that you can't duplicate the problem. You did try it?
Thanks for the suggestion.

is
of
assembly
Window
http://www.SecureIX.com ***
Tried it and it seems to work fine here. But there are many methods of doing each step that you describe and sometimes different methods produce different results. You are correct that your video card should not produce what you see, but if you were running some variety that I won't mention, then I would question it - I have seen video cards and drivers produce all kinds of issues that you wouldn't think would be related but turn out to be a factor.
But here's something else to check. When you insert the flat pattern, have you already created it or are you letting SW create it? The best way is to let it create it at the point that you need it. But in doing that, you have to wait a bit for that to happen. So when you go to insert a drawing view, you pick flat pattern from the config box, and then when you take the cursor out over the drawing, there may not be a view floating along with it because it's still creating the flat pattern config of the model. Look at the status bar at the lower LH corner to see if it's rebuilding. So try just waiting a bit. Or insert the flat pattern view, and then go back and insert another flat pattern view of that same model and see if it floats with it immediately.
WT