bending small diameter rods

I know that it was discussed before, but could someone please tell me where to get some info on using sheet metal to form, bend and unbend (flat
pattern) small diameter rods (1/4" diam. or less). I need to do several bent rods and would like to have flat patterns and accurate actual lengths.
Tom
create the part so that it has a square profile, insert the sheet metal bends on it. Then you can flatten and fold. Just add some fillets to all the edges and it becomes a round rod!
Maybe there's another way to do it but thats the first that comes to mind....
Todd

where
lengths.
Todd,
Thanks. I knew about this method, but had never tried it. It seems to work acceptably as long as I keep the thickness in a single plane.
However, since it is a sq. rod to start with, I need to bend the rod 45 degrees in the direction of the original thickness. It errors out. Any ideas on this.
Tom

DELETEMEeng snipped-for-privacy@power-packconveyor.com says...

Yep, the sheet metal method fails when bending in multiple planes. The method I have used is to simply make a separate straight configuration and MANUALLY calculate the straight length.
--
Arlin
(remove '351' from email to reply)

work
DELETEMEeng snipped-for-privacy@power-packconveyor.com says...

Hmmm.. never thought of that method before. Like you said though, a lot of effort. (not really worth it for me, IMO)
--
Arlin
(remove '351' from email to reply)
Arlin,
It is worth it if you have to have the results. Although SW could make it a whole lot easier.
Tom
says...

marked
I'm on the road and can't verifiy if this would work, but have you tried the "Deform" tool on it yet?
Mike Wilson
"...generated an assembly flat-pattern" How do you do that? I haven't dug into it, but I thought a flat pattern is only the result of a sheetmetal part.
WT
says...

45
Any
Wayne,
Sorry for lack of good English. I meant to say that I generate two different parts with flat-pattern configurations and then made an assembly from the parts. I then generated a flat-pattern assembly configuration and selected each of the parts flat-pattern. I then remated the parts and Viola, "An Assembly Flat-Pattern"
Tom
says...

The