Re: Solidworks to be included with SURFCAM 2005!

Just recieved this from our dealer:

> > "SC2005 will include Solidworks PDO (part design only) Free for > commercial > 3 Axis Plus seats and higher. This is the full working product as sold > by > SolidWorks excluding the assembly and drafting modules." > > I just spent $4k for Solid Edge last year, now I have to learn another > program...Damn. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't complain, they say it's a > better program with more users. I still like my Cadkey/KeyCreator.

I guess this is how SURFWARE is dealing with the total embarrassment / loss of SURFCAM Solids to Pathtrace (EdgeCAM).

Pathtrace (EdgeCAM) laid out the money and took over development of A3DS's Paralogix. (SURFCAM Solids)

When Pathtrace integrates their surfacing into what they purchased from A3DS (Paralogix) they will have a significant modeling advantage over their competitors... Gibbs, MasterCAM, FeatureCAM, SurfCAM, etc.

Do you have any intention of posting your thoughts on SolidEdge curve and surface creation with what UGS calls "Rapid Blue" technology ? I have not gotten around to trying it. Seems to me that "Rapid Blue" technology could be a huge advantage over what SolidWorks has.

I note Gary Lucus is *once again* silent / MIA cause it's much easier to criticize me than post helpful info on the technology in SolidEdge. The same can be said for you.

Anyone want to discuss using SolidEdge Rapid Blue curve / surfacing ?

I'd look at SolidEdge myself but I'm tied up at the moment with getting back into MasterCAM (Have not used it since version 5)and learning VX.

An interesting note: I was at Gateway C.C. in Phoenix today. I noticed they teach Pro/ E, SolidEdge and AutoCAD. SolidWorks does not appear to be taught there. I have noted an increase in SolidWorks use in Phoenix however as I'm seeing more done prints done in SolidWorks.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

I don't think Surfware has anything to be embarrassed about, Surfcam Solids wasn't worth much, to us anyway. I don't know of anyone who used it full time, we demoted it to just a translator and never installed it after SC2003 when we installed a new computer. We tried to make some sense of it at first but found it totally inept in many areas. If Pathtrace can make something of it then more power to them. As far as Solid Edge goes, the surfacing tools are adequate for my needs. I don't do part design only mold designing and that doesn't require the use of all the Surface tools except for some editing and creating mold parting surfaces. My customers do the Surface work in the parts we make molds for. I'm sure SolidWorks will be adequate also. Should SE or SW fall short, I still have KeyCreator and Cadkey to fall back on, not to mention Surfcam's excellent Surfacing tools. I think this is good move on Surfware's part. A top rate solid modeler with a huge customer base should make Surfcam more attractive to those looking for a cam program. I just hope they don't offer this for a few years and then break off the relationship leaving Surfcam users out in the cold. This should make the yearly maintenance fees we pay for separate programs much cheaper by about $1K.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

They lost the source code to their own product !!!

"I don't know of anyone who used it full time, we demoted it to just a translator and never installed it after SC2003 when we installed a new computer."

Use Google and see for yourself that there were a few vocal supporters / users of SURFCAM Solids on Usenet.

"We tried to make some sense of it at first but found it totally inept in many areas."

It was. So is SolidWorks... just not as inept in as many areas.

If you STILL can't turn on the U,V points on non-native surfaces and you still can't manipulate the control points on non-native NURB splines how is this adequate ? If it's still a PITA to convert imported wireframe geometry to solid models is that adequate ? If you still can't mix wireframe geometry in part or assembly mode and you have to imported wireframe into sketcher mode is that adequate ? If the surfacing tools are still ackward to use and don't feel the same as using solid tools is that also adequate ? Is the one size fits all approach of Solidworks reliance on FeatureWorks a good thing or is BD right when he says a moldmaker needs a "Swiss Army" knife approach ?

Why not explore the Rapid Blue surfacing aspects of SolidEdge and put up a post on what you think of them ? Like I said I would but I'm very busy with MasterCAM and VX right now. My plate is full. You own the product... why not learn what Rapid Blue can and can't do and tell us about it ? I realize this is much harder than critizing me but I think your up to the task. ;>)

Woudn't SURFWARE have to build SURFCAM into SolidWorks first ????

They already said they were going to do this !!!

Remember, SURFWARE *vaporware*:

SURFCAM Solids NC 2 and SURFCAM Solids NC 3 ???

Advertised for almost two years.... then as per usual SURFWARE....

Poof !

NOTHING !

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

For any and all who care: Gateway CC does have SolidWorks classes as does Mesa CC- I am currently in the MCC class and the Gateway CC class starts in March. I know Solid Edge, MasterCam, Gibbs, Pro-E, SurfCam and for the Cad side think SolidWorks is tops and hard to beat. I currently use Surfcam 2003 at my work and upgraded to SurfCam 2004 and basically saw no improvements (some surfacing) but hated the new internal Verify- I feel they got cheaper and made no real improvments when changing from the Predator Verify. When version 2005 comes out we shall see what changes SurfCam has made because all the NC Programmers i work with feel that SurfWare is falling behind even more since they more or less jumped ship on the Solids progamming. For those who have used a solids package you know what i am saying. Look at Gibbs- in the last 2 years they have made leaps and bounds and again we all think SurfCam has lagged behind. I look forward to seeing MasterCam X if they ever get it going and also hope for there own sake that SurfWare makes some good strides this year.

Just the opinions of one NC Programmer to the rest of the readers of this group

Average_Joe

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:43:38 -0000, jon banquer wrote:

Reply to
Average_Joe

Looks like SolidWorks was recently added at Gateway CC... intro kind of class.

Gateway CC bookstore did not have any books for SolidWorks as of last week. They did have two books for SolidEdge.

SURFWARE has been falling behind for years. They do seem to have a strong VAR in Phoenix, though. Not gaining much ground but not losing any either. With the release of MasterCAM X and with a good MasterCAM VAR in Phoenix SURFCAM would IMO be very vulnerable to losing market share here.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer