SWx World... thanks to everyone, and apology too

I just wanted to thank everyone who came up and introduced themselves at SWx World... I really appreicate it when I can put a face to the name, and am grateful to the guys who told me that our tutorials have helped them out (makes it easier to jsutify the time invested in putting them together). What blew me away were those people who went out of their way to pass my name along to (and in some case directly introduce me to) companies that I might be able to help out - that is the best sort of validation anyone can give a guy, and it is very appreciated.

A special thanks to Paul for paying off handsomely on a five-year-old debt. He's a man of honor

I would like to apologize to anyone that I couldn't stop and properly hang out with... I really, really didn't want to come across as an aloof d*****ad, and hated that I couldn't stop and give a proper response when I heard a 'hey, Ed' because I was rushing to a meeting or to give a presentation. I am very sorry, and would have loved to have the opportunity to give a little more back when people reached out. Also, my brain was in a weird fog by the end there, so I cringe when I think about some of my less-than-stellar respones (like to the guy who designed the fabric softerne bottle who attended the last session - I wish I had my wits about me to ask a follow up question, but I was so focused on cramming that session into the given time that I blew the opportunity to mine an expert for some useful information)

By the way, I think SWx World has gotten better... I can't wait for the CD to come out so I can review all of those presentations that I had to miss. Unlike previous years, I heard very few gripes about bad presentations, and lots more reports of presentations that 'paid for the trip'

My three presentations (Surfacing for BlockHeads, Curvy Stuff 301, and Trees of Blood; preventing and reparing rebuild errors) will be on our web site... soon-ish. We have to do some re-thinking so we can make sure the downloading does not interfere with our server during buisness hours, and I need a little more time to annotate stuff. Of course, my first priority is to catch up with my customers and keep them satisfied, so keep an eye out for a posting announcement towards the end of the month.

I'll also be getting the spring stuff up (some fo you will know about this) - I have to dig up the job that we animated the spring, and add the torsion, extension, and compression springs so you get them all.

-Ed

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Hi Ed,

You are a remarkable man.. I was not in Orlando this time so you didn't offend me :)

I would like to thank you for your extraordinary presentations, learned some useful stuff from there. And other co-workers at Ikea also think they are really good, better than anything SW has printed.

Looking forward to meeting you in the US at the next conf..

/Mike S

"Edward T Eaton"

Reply to
Michael Svensson

Kind words. Thanks Ed. And one of the three packets was still in my suitcase on arrival home although it was meant to be given to a friend on the way home. Memory is first to go.

BTW, I wasn't able to get to Trees of Blood. Hope you get that one up first.

Reply to
P.

Unfortunately, I missed Trees of Blood but will look for it when it's available.

I also agree that this was a much better conferenece than last year. I hadn't been to the 2 before that one, but there was a lot more going on this year. Still learning after all these years..........

jk

opportunity

Reply to
jk

Ed, it was good to see you again. I totally understand your position as I felt the same way at AU last year. You are so worried about the next presentation that you get tunnel vision.

I enjoyed 2 of the 3 of your presentations (missed Curvy Stuff 301). They can apply to just about any CAD platform as they teach good basics of modeling. Hope to see you next year if not sooner.

Reply to
Sean Dotson

Hi Ed,

I just wanted to say it was great to meet you at the PW dinner Monday night. I had seen some of your work and used some of the tutorials at the dimonte group website. It's nice to finally be able to associate a face to the files. I tried to catch the "preventing rebuild errors" presentation but they had closed the session before I made it there (about 1:20). My self and about a dozen others were turned away. Maybe next year.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Ed, Thanks Sooo much for all of your obvious hard work. Both the Curvy Stuff 301 and the Trees of Blood - OOPS, I mean How to prevent Rebuild Errors were very good.

Now the only thing that I wake up nights thinking about is; how bad are my designs going to blow up if (when) my client messes with something high up in the feature manager. But seriously, I will definitely be checking my designs a LOT more thoroughly in the future.

Thanks Ed, BTW, I had no idea what you were talking about as I was leaving the "How to prevent Rebuild Errors" talk, but my wife reminded me that the guy who "hi-jacked" the car in the "Great American Movie" ride at MGM was indeed called Muggsy. So I can only assume that's what your wife was talking about?!?!

Anyway, it certainly was great to meet you and to put a face with a name.

Thanks again, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Boy, I wish I had an answer for that. All I can say is what I told one of my old customers at the opening night reception - if you have a problem, CALL ME... I would rather spend a free 15 minutes looking at a bloody tree and coaching them on how to fix it quickly and easily than to get a bad reputation as a sloppy modeler. You can't innolculate a model against every change, nor should you (it would cost a stupid amount of extra design time).. you can only prevent the likely errors. If they make a change that I could not predict ahead of time, things ARE going to happen. It helps if I can see what erupted so I can let them know it wasn't my fault - and also nudge them in the direction of a solution... and if it was my fault, you bet I am going to take care of it and make it right (I really enjoy the luxery of working for an ethical company that knows that repeat business is the most profitable. We make sure that we take repsonsibility for our mistakes and make things right instead of trying to squeeze every penny out of cusotmers ) That said, some models - like the one shown at the end of CS301, are going to be ugly to edit. That is why design references (like a clay model or a hand sketch) are important, so you can get most of the design nailed down before the model is even built (correct model the first time = fewer edits = fewer problems) I still need to clean that guy up before I can even share it.

Reply to
Edward T Eaton