S.O.T. HP putting time expired chips in inkjet cartridges

We have successfully used refilled inkjet cartridges on all our printers but now HP are putting datestamped chips on the cartridges to foil refilling. Any legal beavers here?? If I buy a car from Ford and the gastank shuts down after 5 years would this be legal??

Reply to
Phil Evans

snipped-for-privacy@tagaerospace.com (Phil Evans) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Maybe HP should focus their considerable resources on not producing shitty products rather than idiotic and greedy technology like this. Their printers and their software/drivers are complete garbage.

This endless parade of big company bullshit is really starting to depress me. When does Mars open? I'm on the first shuttle there...

Reply to
Joel Moore

What if the time expires before you use up the cartridge ???

I don't refill my cartridges at home, but if I can't use what I paid good money for, just because of some greedy asswipe CEO, I'll be major pissed. It doesn't even sound legal to me.

Our next new printers won't be HP if this is true.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Here's an article I read not too long ago. You might be able to use it as a "Who to hate" guide.

I already dislike HP for their printers. We bought an HP laser printer just a few months before Win2k shipped, and it took them forever to release drivers. In fact, I don't remember that they ever really did. The Register ranted on that subject for months, as I recall.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

They're probably trying to protect their profit margins. I would guess they make very little on the printer but have huge margins on the cartridges everyone has to buy. A 5550 printer lists for 99.95 and can't have much margin in it since it comes with a pair of ink cartridges that list for $53.00 for the pair. The cartridges can't cost much to manufacture in huge quantities. I suspect they're mostly profit.

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H

I have an HP1220 cxi (11 x 17 color deskjet) which has been available for years now and is still available, doesn't fully support the USB on either Win2000 or Win XP and it doesn't look like they ever will. HP's driver support has to be some of the worst in the computer industry.

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H

I believe the DMCA allows them to do this.... Not that I think it's a good idea.

the "clone" cartridge companies are also prevented by the DMCA from breaking the electronic encription built into the chips, so you won't be seeing knockoffs any time soon.

Thank your congressman for this one...

Reply to
Michael

bob z. sure isn't a legal beaver, but he is a hater. legal? loophole? somebody must know. DO NOT EVER BUY A hewlett packard printer. they are the crappiest, loudest, slowest junk on the planet. have any of you guys done the math? printer ink costs more per ounce than fine wine! bob z. just bought a canon i850. this thing rocks. quiet. fast (how does

22ppm black grab ya?). cartridges are reasonable.
Reply to
bob zee

Phil Evans quipped:

only if a chip deactivates it.

ani't the DMCA wonderful?

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

On a similar note, AMD appears to be thwarting attempts to overclock their chips...

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

This legislation is of course only valid in the USA, I think we will be seing some knockoffs coming to you guys south of the border soon :-) This legislation is going to be used to tie you all in knots.

Reply to
Phil Evans