Simple way of making Golf Ball with Solidworks!

Please help me! Anyone!? As I know Golf ball has 77 dimples around the surface... Is there anyway making golfball simply?
I've read lot's of articles with lots of calculations...but it brings me a headache.
Please..help me out.~ Thank you.
Search the newsgroup first. Then check 3D Content Central.
TOP wrote:

Just curious - why is this so popular it comes up every month? It seems like a largely boring problem that can be solved by any beginner with just a ltitle patience. I suppose it would be mildly interesting if there was a battle to see who could pull it off in the fewest features, but even then it still just a ball with a bunch of revolved cuts in it.
I just think I must be missing something, because it is endlessly fascinating to folks on this newsgroup. Or is it just that Spring is on its way in the Northern Hemisphere Sign me 'curious' -Ed
Some time ago I read an article in a magazine talking about how many patents involve golf. (It was probably in a plastics magazine and involved patents related to plastics and plastic parts.) I can't remember the numbers now, but it was absolutely amazing what the percentage was.

Usually 300-500. 336 is very common. That's the N.Z. standard :-)
Greg
http://www.answers.com/topic/golf-ball
abab, 77 dimples? Not even close. Of course all manufacturers have a different design and number of dimples, but mostly they average around 330. There are approximately 33 at the equator of the ball, then naturally the number diminishes as the smaller perimeters migrate towards either of the two the poles.There are approximately 10 perimeters, growing progressively smaller, and running paralell to the equator, running north and south. It shouldn't be a very difficult mathematical indexing for you to do, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is "simple". Good Luck G. De Angelis

I was able to model the golf ball depicted in
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/f/f0/Two_similar_icosahedron_golf_ball_designs.jpg
It is pretty straightforward if you realize that the dimples are based on the icosahedron.You actually need to carve only four (4) dimples! The toughest part was to find out how to pattern the geometry with minimum amount of features.
Pretty interesting modeling problem, though!
-h-
The "optimal" position of N dimples on a sphere can be found on http://www.research.att.com/~njas/packings /. Import the table in Excel, do some math to obtain the XYZ locations of the points, export to .csv and use one of the many macros around to read the points in a 3D Sketch. Then use the HoleWizard to create the dimples. Ensure you don't violate any patent on the dimples patterns, there are MANY patents on the topic :-) Philippe Guglielmetti
--
Composed with Newz Crawler 1.8 http://www.newzcrawler.com /