Simple way of making Golf Ball with Solidworks!

Please help me! Anyone!? As I know Golf ball has 77 dimples around the surface... Is there anyway making golfball simply? I've read lot's of articles with lots of calculations...but it brings me a headache.

Please..help me out.~ Thank you.

Reply to
abab

Search the newsgroup first. Then check 3D Content Central.

Reply to
TOP

Just curious - why is this so popular it comes up every month? It seems like a largely boring problem that can be solved by any beginner with just a ltitle patience. I suppose it would be mildly interesting if there was a battle to see who could pull it off in the fewest features, but even then it still just a ball with a bunch of revolved cuts in it.

I just think I must be missing something, because it is endlessly fascinating to folks on this newsgroup. Or is it just that Spring is on its way in the Northern Hemisphere Sign me 'curious'

-Ed

Reply to
ed1701

Usually 300-500. 336 is very common. That's the N.Z. standard :-)

Greg

Reply to
Greg

abab,

Reply to
G. De Angelis

I was able to model the golf ball depicted in

It is pretty straightforward if you realize that the dimples are based on the icosahedron.You actually need to carve only four (4) dimples! The toughest part was to find out how to pattern the geometry with minimum amount of features.

Pretty interesting modeling problem, though!

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

Some time ago I read an article in a magazine talking about how many patents involve golf. (It was probably in a plastics magazine and involved patents related to plastics and plastic parts.) I can't remember the numbers now, but it was absolutely amazing what the percentage was.

Jerry Steiger

The "optimal" position of N dimples on a sphere can be found on

Import the table in Excel, do some math to obtain the XYZ locations of the points, export to .csv and use one of the many macros around to read the points in a 3D Sketch. Then use the HoleWizard to create the dimples. Ensure you don't violate any patent on the dimples patterns, there are MANY patents on the topic :-) Philippe Guglielmetti

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti