SME 2005

It was interesting to read Pete's 'rant' (28/04/05) about the Solid Modelling Exhibition and in particular his rant about his VAR. I also went to the exhibition and I was surprised at how small it was (though it was my first time, so was unsure what to expect).

NTCADCAM are our VAR and he's right - they're not perfect (but they are pretty damn close). If Pete were to check his facts I'd think he would find that the main stand was actually Solidworks, and that Solid Solutions were merely 'piggy-backing' the Solidworks main stand. NT was the only VAR who had their own stand and they also had a portion of the main Solidworks stand. I think NT's stand was quite good, the car and engine showed exactly what the software is capable of. Most people designing cars and engines tend to use the high-end packages. It just goes to show - you don't have to spend twenty or thirty grand on software to design a good product. The guys from NT leapt on me as soon as I walked through the door, and were keen (as always) to discuss issues, solutions and just have a general chat. As for the fact that Pete didn't get to speak to the guys from NT - that's my fault (sorry Pete), as I took up all their time discussing future developments.

We've had issues with Solidworks in the past (and no doubt we will have in the future), but NT have always reacted well to our problems. What I've found with the VARs is that it's all down to communication - if you want something, just ask them - if you have a problem, just speak to them. I get a phone call once a month from our Account Manager at NT even if it's only to say hello and discuss how badly Cardiff City are playing (bloody West Ham supporters!). What you've got to remember is that these problems are sometimes 'in the hands of the Gods' (i.e. Solidworks), so sometimes your VAR simply can't sort it out. It must be very difficult for the Tech guys to sort out a problem over the phone when it could be down to your hardware setup (or a million other things which are not Solidworks related). Don't forget - these guys have got to write a bit of software which is compatible with Windows (Microsoft struggle to write software which is compatible with Windows).

Pete - I agree with the majority of your comments, but I think that publicly chastising your VAR is a bit unfair. Go and speak to them (speak to the MD if you have to), and if you don't get any joy - then give it to them with both barrels, but don't forget - they are only human (I think!).

As for the sheep comments - I'd rather be caught with a sheep on the end of my d**k than be caught wearing an England rugby shirt - baaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
nick robertson

Hey Nick, that was no "rant", just what I saw and noted.

I speak my mind, something that NTCadcam, are only too aware of, lol

As you so pointed out, you took a lot of their time up, (which, you are fully entitled to do), but as they only had one PC station, no one else had a chance.

Talking about facts, as you have said, there were two NTCadcam guys, but Solid Solutions had around ten and their MD there too. We must keep in mind, that this is the biggest Cad event in the UK, only sending two guys. one PC and a car, seems a bit silly.

The car that NTCadcam had on display, also had a notice on it, saying that Solidworks had, "helped", in the design. Question springs to mind, "what bits were designed with Solidworks?", damm, no one to ask, Next stand.

The problems that I had, were nothing to do with hardware or any other thing, it was to do with Solidworks. These were sorted out by Solid Solutions right there and then, something that NTCadcam, might have done, if they have had more PC stations and people.

"publicly chastising your VAR is a bit unfair", is a bit of an overkill, lol

I must say, that getting a call from your account manager, once a month, you must be very special, the only time I have contact with mine, is when the subscription fee is due. I speak to NTCadcam support, at least two times a week, sometimes my fault, sometimes Solidwork's fault, sometimes NTCadcam's fault, so as far as communication, goes, enough said. There is a lot more that I could say, but I will keep quiet, in case, I really get in to a "rant".

All I can say about the sheep, is that I must have meet, two welsh people, who could laugh and tell some good sheep jokes, (I hope you noticed, "two welsh people"), not myself, telling the jokes.

End of.

Reply to
pete

My first Question was "cool - so did you do all the surface design in SW?"........embarrased silence...."Um, no...". But it did appear that the engine on display and the framework and other internals on the car were done in SW.

Nick - If the main stand was Solidworks and not Solid solutions, then weren't they kind of shooting themselves in the foot by having NT and the "official" Solidworks stand next to each other and competing for custom. I must admit that I though there was no such thing as "Solidworks UK" - just a bunch of VAR's, but I may well be out of touch on that one. Cheers Deri

Reply to
Deri Jones

Nice Image !! LOL - just be carefull what you wish for - it might come true :-)

I'll look out for you on the news! ;-)

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Deri,

Solidworks has offices right next to Shape Data. I think it's in Camebridge.

Mark

Reply to
MM