Solidworks 2005 SP

Anyone know where to get it or can supply a valid S/N to th solidworks website?

Reply to
Darin

From the valid software package you purchased from your valid SolidWorks reseller. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

We purchased SW2005, and our support has run out. Just needed Sp3.

Reply to
Darin

Unfortunately, SolidWorks makes the rules. No Subscription Maintenance, no Service Packs. Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Devon,

It was my understanding that SolidWorks provides patches to fix problems free of charge. Has something changed?

Kman

Reply to
Kman

It must be like buy 1 get 1 free, if you don't buy the first one, you can't have the free one, lol BUT, it makes sense in this case, as the subs are quite high.

Reply to
pete

"It was my understanding that SolidWorks provides patches to fix problems free of charge. Has something changed?"

I don't know.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

If your subscription ran out in the middle of say version 2004, I would be surprised if SW doesn't issue the patches free of charge. Talk to your VAR, it may be worth the effort.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Check with your VAR and see if he can get it for you. Unfortunatley without the maintenance, you can't get to the downloads section of SW support unless its been less than a year since you purchased SW

Reply to
Jo

As valuable as SolidWorks is to me, I just can't imagine not maintaining my maintenance fees for a particular Swks year, if I committed to the upgrade (to 2005 for instance).

It is so common for a new release to not be relatively bug-free until it hits SP4 (or later) that I know what I am in for when I hand over the nearly $2k.

I did the $2k for 2005, but must admit I haven't seen the benefit to me to load it up yet, after trying it and talking with friends who have done so.

I need to see more positive comments from all quarters before I upgrade. Time is too valuable.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

I was also told by my reseller that I could obtain service packs without being on subscription, but only to fix problems I actually experienced. In other words, on subscription you get access to all service packs, without subscription you have to proove you need a certain problem fixed.

As I was shopping for software and creating a "Plusses & Negatives" list for each package, I listed SW's policy with these service packs as a strong negative.

The entire concept of subscription seems to be an underhanded way to grab more money from customers without really earning it.

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke3

As I have mentioned before SW should support previous releases for a reasonable time period. Instead, SW is quick to drag everyone into the next release and leaving the last release in a incomplete state. As someone else pointed out, with each new release the problems continue to compound. I believe many users would be grateful if SW spent the next year fixing and finishing works in progress.

Then there is the SW policy that charges customers an extra $500 over the $1295 to reinstate their subscriptions if lapsed for more than one year. This practice is even more underhanded.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Kman, I think you are onto something.

The retraining and upgrade costs go far beyond SolidWorks' subscription fee.

As a user for 5 years, I can honestly say I would prefer to upgrade SWks only once every 2 years, which is about how often I upgrade my OSs on various computers. Anything more often just wastes too damn much time.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Talk to your reseller. Once you purchase the SolidWorks license, you are entitled to get all the services pack for the particular version that you have purchased.

Reply to
teazian

Bo,

Same here, I have been using SW since 99 and for the first time let my subscription run out in 2004. Unfortunately, SW has leveraged their size and popularity to force upgrades just to be compatible. What a gig! SW is like a credit card company or your mortgage lender. Doesn't matter if you have made all your payments on time for the last twenty five years, miss one and we are going to make you pay a late fee plus interest.

The thrill of discovering not quite right features has lost the glamour and appeal. Especially, when manipulated to pay for them every year liking or not. Even if I could reinstate without penalty, I would choose not to use

2006 to design with until it was approaching release time for 2007. I would practice using 2006 to become familiar and also follow the newsgroups and user contacts for feedback.

It is hard to believe anyone saves time and money using new features (2004-2005 release) given all the regressions, familiarization time, on the job training, going to SW meetings and seminars, communicating problems to SW and their VARs, hardware/software upgrades and of course the usual old and new bugs tagging along for the ride. I too enjoy new stuff, but find most of it does not apply to our business or just don't have the time to play and figure it all out.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Efficiency counts EVERY DAY to SWk's users.

$s count to SWk's accountants, who promise to deliver each quarter.

Even if I can throw money around like a sailor on a SWks subscription, I only have so many hours per day to do EVERYTHING. SolidWorks can NOT be my life. I shouldn't have to work around bugs, & relearn it every damned year.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Stability and consistency from a users interface aspect would be a welcome improvement. Functional and well thought out improvements are appreciated, but the rest is to make us believe we are getting our subscription dollar's worth.

Kman

The Seller's of Suites are slum lords in disguise.

Reply to
Kman