Solidworks helix

Is there a way create a helix whose sketch isn't based on a circle? For instance, could I use a sketch of a triangle with round edges and create a helicle shape based on that geometry?

Reply to
cadout

I have a helical torsion spring model in my models dump, . This may give you some ideas.

Reply to
That70sTick

"cadout" wrote in news:1168351792.462601.252510@

51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

1-Use a surface sweep with the twist option to create a surface whose outside edge is a circle-based helix. 2-Use a second surface sweep (without twist) whose profile is the shape you want for the helix. 3-Use a surface trim to trim the twisted surface using the profile surface as the trim tool. 4-The resulting surface should have an egde with the path curve you need.

A similar method might be to use an intersection curve instead of steps 3 and 4.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Reply to
G. De Angelis

Well what i used to is create a surface sweep on a helix which is created using circle as a base. then a surface extrude of the shape. Now open a new 3d sketch and use the option intersection curve (tools>skecth tools), which will generate a helix with the combination of both the surfaces.

I wish it helps.

Regards

Deepak Gupta

Reply to
Engineer

I can't believe I never tried to do that Sweep with a Turn to create a spring. I've used the Turn option in so many other places, but never tried a spring. Good find Ben!!

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

I was able to create the ideal helical shape, but when I tried sweeping the threading shape around that helix, the resulting sweep became more and more distorted throughout its path. Is this a guide lines issue? Because I tried creating different guide lines, but they didn't seem to help. And the same distortion occurs if I use a sweeping extrusion or a sweeping cut.

Eng> Well what i used to is create a surface sweep on a helix which is

Reply to
cadout

Use a "pierce" constraint to relate the section sketch to the guide curve.

Reply to
That70sTick