something i've discouvered on split features and multibody parts

Hi guys, I want to share with you a strange expiriance with solidworks 2007 sp2.2 x64:

Before a while i've created a solid part (lets call it "master part") and splited it with the split feature using two planes of which the location is controled in it with two configurations (lets call them default config and non-default config).

When I created the split feature solidworks asks me if i want to save seperate part files of each part of the split feature, so i saved them in 3 seperate part files which solidworks called "solid body 1, solid body 2, solid body 3). Now if I open any of these "solid body X" part files then they also have two configurations (default and non-default) but only default is working the other one has a red error mark on the derived body icon in the feature manager tree!!. So I went back to the master part file, switched to non-default configuration, entered into the split feature again and pressed again the "save all bodies" button. Now I switched back to one of the "solid body X" part files and the non-default configuration was now o.k. in addition to the default configuration!!! as i wanted from the beginning.

So i guess the conclusion is that in the "save all bodies" button on the split feature, solidworks will only save the current configuration status of bodies in the resultant part files, and that one has to repeat this procedure manually in order to achive this on all configurations!.....strange isn't it? i would expect solidworks to go through all configurations and all "solid body X" part files and to save each status accordingly and automaticaly. wouldn't you too?

I will love to hear your thoughts on this,

Regards, Gil

Reply to
Gil Alsberg