Subscription Portal = Enhancements

Just for grins let's flood the new subscription portal with an enhancement request to make SW able to export SW models to previous versions of SW. Why? This topic seems to not have a set of convenient checkboxes and it sure needs one.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Here's my personal opinion;

  1. It will never happen. Why should it?

  1. I bet the amount of users that really need this are less than 10% of the total.

  2. If they did make this happen, then why upgrade? If people stop upgrading, revenue will decrease, company morale will suffer, and the product will stagnate. Sort of like AutoCAD right now.

  1. For example, can you still purchase a brand new 1980 Honda Accord? Of course not. Who wants to?

  2. I like the status quo. In the end, each version is better than the previous version.

Cheers, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Because enough money is spent on the initial purchase that one should be allowed to use it as long as they wish. You don't stop using your car when the warrenty runs out because you no longer have permission. (nor does one pay for a warrenty in the first place).

I would bet that this is not true. I encounter this problem all the time. My company is still running 2005 even though we are current on our subscriptions. It is too much hassle to get IT to go through and upgrade everyone once a year. This must even be worse for companies that require "Validation" before implementing new versions. It's not hard to imagine the process taking 2 months. That's 1/6th of the year!

As a customer, it not my job to keep a vendor in business. It's up to them to figure that out for themselves. My guess is that licencing would not drop off all that much since VAR support is still very necessary.

Huh? Bad example. Honda doesn't sell 1980 Honda Accords anymore., nor would SolidWorks sell 1998 Plus today. However, actually 1980 is nearing the age where the Honda will qualify as a collector's item. ;)

Reply to
fcsuper

RE: 1980 Honda Accord. Ok, try this, does the crankshaft of a 1996 Honda Accord fit a 1980? Should Honda offer a Kit so that it will fit? And guarantee that all parts will fit previous years?

This subject has been discussed many times in the past 7 years. If it hasn't happened by now, it's probably not going to happen.

Cheers, Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

I really didn't want this thread to turn into another pro-con discussion on this topic. That has been done ad nauseum. The answer to your question will be forthcoming depending on how many people request:

A. The ability to write past versions. B. The ability not to write past versions.

Either way you should try putting in an enhancement request. And remember it was promised at SWW a couple years ago.

Dev> Here's my personal opinion;

Reply to
TOP

Huh? Promised? When, where and by who? I've been in SWW for couple of years by now and I haven't heard a such thing. IIRC it was asked by someone in Orlando in the public show, and it was told that SW guys are not planning to do it in the near future because it is too difficult. Someone asked what would happen if some third party such as ADesk would release save-as-previous-version feature for SolidWorks (like SolidWorks did to ACAD). The answer was something like "go ahead and do it then". I bet that even though there are business issues related, it really _is_ a difficult task to do.

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

Heikki Leivo kirjoitti:

Yep, Acad has also it's own "acad to older acad tool". It's so easy with 2D. But 3D...take a part with some features, use Flex to twist it little bit and so...then "Save As SW98Plus"...what you think you can have? Parametric model that is easy to modify? I don't think so :-(

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

I don't recall that promise - Must have missed it. I've only heard it promised (I think predicted is more accurate) that it would never happen. However, I do remember that macro that was discussed a couple of weeks agao that automatically converts models when it can. I think that something that works in 'most' cases (barring flex or other new features) would be useful. We are working on two different versions and we have to be careful that we don't open one of the 2005 jobs in

2006. If we mess up, a lot of work can be lost. Wouldn't it be nice to get as much as we can (OK, no flex, but how about every other feature in the tree? Or just the sketches and planes, with which you can rebuild models pretty fast). Of course, for mates and whatnots it would be nice if the converter also converted over the unique model ID and of all the face/edge/vertex IDs

-Ed

Reply to
ed1701

Another fun backward-compatibility obstacle...

Some features change algorithms with each new release. Loft has changed almost every time. This was documented > I don't recall that promise - Must have missed it.

Reply to
That70sTick

If SW can crack and translate Pro-E files to SW, then they can handle issues like that for there own files.:)

That70sTick wrote:

Reply to
fcsuper

Here's a thought.

I am sure that SW/Catia have several licences of Pro-E,A-cad, ect for R&D purposes. Is SW on maintenance with them? If so, does SW corp call Pro-E for technical help?

Reply to
Brian