Sw2003\4 and Star Office?

Our company are looking at ways to save on the huge licence fees wanted by Windoze and we are looking at changing over to SuSe Linux servers and Star Office. I have seen some posts referring that PDMWorks will run in a winbox under Linux. I understand that the SW2003/4 workstations will have to run Windoze XP and maybe even, MS Office (excel 2000 for SW2004), but I can not see any problems for the rest of the network as these are databases that can be converted to Star Office format. Can you see any problems that we may encounter?

Reply to
pete

Does your company use design tables? If so you may be stuck with Microsoft because of excel and it's OLE capabilities.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Only for the SW workstations tho. Everyone else can use Star/Open office with no problems.

And really, unless you have some other app that only runs in windos, there's no reason no to put linux on some of the desktops as well. And even some of those apps run just fine with crossover office.

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

You would only need Excel on the SW workstations. I don't know if would be possible to save any money with that info.

You could then install the windows version of OpenOffice.org to handle all your ordinary office tasks.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Have you thought about using Open Office? It's still free where as Star Office now costs somewhere around $50.

Reply to
Richard Charney

Thanks for all the advice and yes, we will look at Open Office, now that you have mentioned it.

I now have a copy of Suse 9.0 and will be testing it over Xmas, if not too drunk, hic! and if the better half will let me :-| Now that Novell has Suse under their wings, it should be great.

Reply to
pete

If I recall correctly, Open Office does not (yet) include a database application. I assune that is why the original poster is opting for StarOffice.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley