SW2004 SP5.0

I see it's out - anyone try it yet?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Installing now...

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I put my colleague on the early visibility version because he was crashing alot in assemblys and he hasn't complained since.

Corey

Reply to
CS
2 hours and so far so good. I was stuck on SP0.0 due to the WinXP SP2.0 thingy. It was very buggy and crashy. Since installing SP5.0 a little while ago, I have done some fairly complex stuff that will usually stress SW and the system a lot. So far, SW seems to be running a lot smoother and more stable.

Cross my finger.... Knock on wood... and all that stuff!!!!

Reply to
Seth Renigar

OK got a problem here (groan) my update ended in fatal error 1603 right in the last few secs of cd no.3. Internal Error 2753 UpdateBrowserData.exe should say that I have 2003,2004,2005 versions aboard

Reply to
neil

I have SP4.2 and XP SP2 installed and no probs with those... Now trying to install 4.2 to 5.0 I get error that installation source not found...

For a sake of testing I tried 4.1 to 5.0 and it stated correctly that I´m trying to update wrong version... anyone else? I also have 2005 Sp0.1 installed...

Reply to
Kvick

I think there may be some issues for multi installs- I found a list of error numbers and it said 2753 is related to authoring problems. perhaps those with 03,04,05 aboard should hold off for now. I reported my experience to my VAR and he said he would talk to SW. cheers

Reply to
neil

anyone have access to 2004 SP5? I'm stuck at 3.0 and I'm trying to google for what has happened since then. Our subscription ran out. I crash a lot in assemblies.

pope

Reply to
pope

Your boss needs to understand how much it costs delaying projects to deal with crashes and not having the features and stability for a smooth work flow. I've seen the same thing when bosses run a 3Ghz PIV for themselves, yet they keep their staff on PIIIs @ 1 ghz or so, and never wonder why it takes so long to get some SolidWorks models and drawings done.

It is more cost to the company for slowdowns than the cost of the subscription support fee, in my estimation.

Being able to also get VAR tech. support answers when a glitch or unknown situation arises is also extremely valuable as I have found out. Sometimes I have had weird things which just plain stopped me cold, and the VAR had an answer in 2 minutes. That is worth a lot to me.

In addition, many (all?) VARs have some free classes for updating knowledge.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Unless something has change in SolidWorks policy, they do provide bug fixes at no charge to licensed owners of the software. Check with your VAR

Kman

Reply to
Kman

I finally got my boss to "see the light" on this very issue. I just got a new system a few weeks ago (it was like pulling teeth to get it). I went from a P4-2.4Ghz 1Gb memory to a P4-3.2Ghz (with HD) 2Gb memory. Not a huge leap in technology but still fairly significant.

After working with the system for a few days, I estimated that I was saving between approx.15-30min. a day from my previous system. In a days time, that isn't a real huge savings. Over a year, it is not hard to figure out that it easily pays for itself, even though it was a fairly expensive system. Now that he has seen the benefits, I will probably be getting a new system every 12-18 months or so as long as technology increases at the same speed as it has been.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Neil, How did you solve this.

I remove SW2003 and SW2004 SP4.2 from my computer to reinstall a fresh copy. When I load my original SW2004SP0 disk into the drive and click install the windows installer asks me if I want to modify , repair or delete SW2004SP2.1, which ever option I choose I get an Internal error 2753 and the option fails.

I am running XPro SP2

Thank you for your help

Richard Morgan

Reply to
RICHARD MORGAN

Richard, I haven't had a reply from my VAR yet re 03,04.05. phoned them yesterday and the bu$$er has gone on holiday...not urgent but.. : {

there was an official issue with installing SW 2004sp 2.with SW 2003 aboard that was resolved by installing by using the command line rather than the installer - did you do that?? (that was what I did at the time). I seem to remember that was also an instance where I had the error 2753. my guess is that there are problems downstream from that for us because the reg entries may not be set up exactly the same way that has been authored for xpsp2 compatibility/sp5 migration OR that again there are cross pollination issues for the installer. I would surmise that multi installs wasn't allowed for or tested when coded -(sigh)

in your case to get back to work you probably need to clean out the SW reg entries after you uninstall for a truly fresh install....however you may need to remove xpsp2 to load up early sp properly???... I really am not in a position to answer. This needs to come from SW.I suggest you get official help from your VAR.

- as an aside - there is a recent SW bulletin about rolling back sp with xpsp2 that maybe you should be aware as well at this time if you haven't seen it.

if you find out anything let us know. regards neil .

Reply to
neil

sorry that should read : 'installing SW 2004 sp 2.1 with SW 2003 aboard'

Reply to
neil

Same XP Pro SP2 problem here--downloaded 'Windows Install Cleanup' from Microsoft and deleted the SW2004 entry in 'Add-Remove Programs' control panel applet. Then did a fresh install from the disks (SP0) and updated directly to the desired SW2004 service pack (5.0). Windows installer Neil,

Reply to
Gary Wolfe

ok Gary! so it works if you avoid the intermediate sps (esp. sp 2.1 no doubt...) before I try this can you clarify for me/us that you have 03,04 and 05 installed. thanks neil

Reply to
neil

Gary, Can you post the link to the microsoft web page where I can download this Windows Install Cleanup program.

All I can find on there web site is a update to XP SP2 to stop the installer hanging up:

Overview This update helps resolve an issue where Windows Installer running on Windows XP Service Pack 2 stops responding when you install an update. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer

you

Richard

Reply to
MORGDESIGN

I have found it, through a google search, searching on the microsoft web site said no such program existed!

Here is the link:

Richard

Reply to
MORGDESIGN

Neil,

I've got SW2004 SP5.0 & SW2005 Sp0.1 installed now. I removed SW2001+ and SW2003 a while back. SP 4.0-4.1-4.2 seem to have Installer problems for me, and I've tried a couple of times. The trick is to avoid the intermediate SP's. Not sure what value there is to go back (to buggy software) any way. Installer seems to rarely roll back well as advertised, and is basically a surefire headache.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Wolfe

I am having problems editing parts from within an assembly.

2004/SP5.0 Windows XP Professional SP1.0

Edit part in assembly, open a sketch on the part, select edges from sub-assembly part and apply convert sketch entities, a dialogue box comes up stating "sketch contains more than one open contour. If the sketch appears to be one closed contour, it may actually be one or more overlapping open contours. To attempt to merge these contours, click OK. Otherwise click cancel". There are no open contours in my sketch.

Also, choosing extrude cut automatically decides for me the cut should be in both directions.

Also, after clicking OK in dialogue box previously descried, all constrained sketch segments loose their relationships and references to sub-assembly part.

Has anyone else experienced what I am describing?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Kman

Reply to
Kman