Tip needed on large assemblies

Can anyone give me some tips on settings for large assy mode please, we dont actually have many parts but one part is a complicated sheet metal superplastic formed tank with integral stiffening beads and then shelled just to exacerbate the problem, this is over 35 megs with over 1800 faces. Solidworks 2004 is crashing on a regular basis, especially when loading the assy lightweight and then resolving some of the large models for editing.

Reply to
Phil Evans

I've been experiencing a lot of crashes when resolving lightweight assemblies as well. It repeats on some assemblies, so I don't load those lightweight. On others, it works fine. I don't know what causes it.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

One trick for large, feature-heavy parts is to save them as parasolids, then bring them back into SW. You will be surprised how small the files can actually get. Of course when yo udo this you loose your associativity, but you might be able to live with it.

I haven't had the need to use light weight parts yet in SW04 SP1, so this tip might not help if this is a bug.

Reply to
Ray Reynolds

Try Matt's site:

He has some Rules of Thumb for "Large Assemblies" and "Tools/Options Settings" that might help.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger