Titles of drawings and MRP system descriptions

We are looking for help in naming our prints. Partly due to the charted (design tables) we are using in solid works. Anybody that would create a drawing for manufacture at your facility. Does your MRP system in which you place the description of the part match the title of the drawing? As of now, we are not matched 100%, in our MRP system we start with a noun. Example a tube would be in our MRP system: TB 3x4x0.25 and on the title of the drawing it may be brace tube. How does everyone else do it?

Reply to
kannman2

We have an Item Master list in our MRP so every part has a specific part number. This way you match everything by a say 6 digit number. We also do the noun thing. Then in solidworks we add a description to the part and this shows up on the title block automatically.

Our MRP

Item Description

420932 PLATE-FRONT-OUR MACHINE

But on drawing #420932 the title is

FRONT PLATE OUR MACHINE

This has worked at our company for longer than I have been alive.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Tim, I personally see no reason of any great importance why the Description (in the BOM, which I presume is what is being exported to your MRP system) has to match the Drawing title exactly. I tend to be more specific in the Drawing title than I am in the Description column of the BOM. The reason is simple -- I have more room in the title block. What in your company is driving you to want to try to match them up exactly? Sure that might be a nice thing to have, but not at the expense of spending a substantial amount of time on it or at the expense of limiting you one way or another.

'Spork'

"tim@kann" wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Hello to Tim.

We are to make them match exact. Since on the mrp you purchase things and use drawing with same part number and name, you make them agree.

If they become different, then it is one more confuse to be careing about.

We for always keep the parities between these mrp name and drawing as the mrp makes a calling out of the part when a purchasing order is made.

Why to make then them difference? Only to make more the confusion.

mrp and drawing always make the same. Live happy this ways.

Sincerefully -

Habib

Reply to
Habib

Our company matches drawing titles and MRP data exactly. 1) It reduces confusion between the shop floor and engineering, also customers and service department. 2) We are ISO9001:2000 registered. If the drawing and MRP data did not match, then we could not validate/verifiy that our proceses are being conducted properly.

The way that we have done things is to work on the 3D model first. We name the models, that info is linked to the drawings. When the MRP data is created, it is manually done so, based on the drawing title. It's not that hard to make them match.

Naming convention follows the "noun first" and "descriptive modifiers in reverse order" convention.

Bracket, Mounting, RH Interlock Tube, Reinforcement, Lower Channel Wldt, Lifting Arm, 32"L

Reply to
Ray Reynolds

Ahh, but the requirement was set up by your procedures which were registered when you went to ISO9001. ISO9001 does not require you to match your BOM description or MRP item description precisely with your drawing title -- your company did that to itself in writing your company procedures. It could just as easily have specified that the part number and or drawing number is the sole criteria which requires an exact match to the MRP data. Now it may be easy to make the MRP data match, considering that it's done manually, but (because of the description matching criteria specified in your procedures) if your MRP data was taken directly from SolidWorks BOM output (Excel) then you would have a choice of making your drawing title very limited in length or else tolerating a very long description in your BOM. I'm suggesting that's neither necessary nor particularly desirable.

'Spork'

Reply to
Sporkman