BOM from MRP project (for Corey)

A while ago I had posted about some problems with the API and inserting BOM tables. I was working on integrating our MRP system with the SolidWorks BOM table to automatically update from SolidWorks to the MRP system. Corey asked me to let him know how it worked out, and it's finished now (after a lot longer that I hoped for, but hey, I'm the only developer on that project and I got pulled away a bit to work on other stuff).

Basically, what I did was make an add-in that allows you to insert a macro feature. The macro feature has a property page that lets you pick a drawing view that it is tied to and set another option. The macro feature then creates a BOM table in the drawing. It saves all the links to the drawing view and BOM table via the persistent references feature (watch out for bugs with this and BOM tables pre

2005SP3). If you set an option, it will run automatically on rebuild, or you can run it manually by right-clicking on the macro feature.

When it runs, it queries our database to find out what product structure is currently stored. Then it counts or measures (depending on the part and what unit of measure is stored in our database) the top level parts/assemblies in the SW model and also reads a list of the item numbers from the BOM table. If there are any discrepancies between the model and the product structure, it pops up a window with all the part data (quantity, item numbers, etc), and lets you edit the quantity that will go in to the database and also the item sequence numbers used in both SW and our MRP system. It then will update all the data (updating, inserting, and deleting as needed) and sequence numbers so the balloons in SW will match our MRP system. The way I have the BOM table options set, there may be multiple lines per part, but that's not a problem because I just set the item number to be the same for all lines.

Anyway, it works pretty well and saves us a bit of time by not having to manually enter BOM data when it is readily available from SolidWorks.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Anderson

Wow Jonathan that sounds great. When had we discussed this before I want to refresh my memmory.

Corey

Reply to
CS

The thread where we had talked before was March 3-7 with the title "InsertBOMTable2 with top level only" Here's a google link if it works:

Jonathan Anderson