SW BOM OR EXCEL BOM

Maybe this is to general a question, but what are major advantages and disadvantages of the SW BOM and EXCEL BOM? Any particular format the most popular?

Reply to
billyb

Use the SolidWorks one the Excel one was more limited and is technically phased out yet still supported

Reply to
CS

We use the excel bom because we manually renumber our BOMs and then sort by our new item numbers. In past releases, SolidWorks BOM would not allow this. It would always re-sort to the assembly ordering of the parts.

Reply to
yawdro

We use excel. Our file names contain our detail numbers, so we use a formula in our excel bom to grab those digits out of the file name and use it for the item number in the bom.

Reply to
Rory

You can do this now with the SolidWorks BOM you can re-number and best of all the balloons follow along with the new numbers.

Reply to
CS