2001+ to 2004

I've asked a few questions so far on upgrading to 2004, but I just have one left. Is it safe to upgrade straight from 2001+ to 2004, skipping 2003. Will 2004 be looking for formatting consistent with 2003 to properly migrate files? Anyone done this?

Reply to
Barna Madau

Barna,

It doesn't matter. Any newer version can read any older version.

I've heard of folks having problems updating files several versions old, but I personally haven't had that problem.

A word of warning...!!! Don't just start converting files en-mass. Experiment on copies of your most complex parts and assemblies first.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

BTW, to add to Marks wisdom,.. to anyone thinking about doing mass migrations, make your lives easier and buy a extra harddrive and back everything up or mirror the whole lot, it's a cheap solution and it will make you feel a lot better in the long run.

i.e.,... a simple easy to hook up USB or Firewire hardrive.. drag and drop for ~$1usd/gig,.. doesn't get any easier than that.

...fewer ulcers...breath easier and of course you will sleep much better!

.. 8^)

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I haven't had many people have much luck doing the upgrade from one version to another. I always have my customers do a new installation of any new version of SW. IMO they should either take the Upgrade button off the menu or fix it so when a customer does use the upgrade, it will work flawlessly. There has been more problems when doing it like this...

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Scott,

I think his concern was file migration.

As far as software "upgrade" as opposed to a "new install", I agree 100%. Never do an upgrade install.

Regards

Mark

flawlessly.

Reply to