Top ten Do's and Don'ts

So here are some suggestions for ID guys.

1) Use dimensions sparingly. Rely more heavily on relationships to constrain your sketches. That way you can exercise your sketches to see how well the model updates.

2) Don't design in Solidworks (it takes too long). Figure out the forms and functions on paper before you start designing in Solidworks. To evaluate mechanical linkages use "Sketch Blocks" in regular sketches

3) Do Toggle "Move/Re-size Features" to interactively drag splines, lines and arcs without having to enter the sketches. This way you can work visually by dragging sketch entities from various sketches close to simultaneously.

4) Do learn to use construction planes efficiently. Extrudes can be offset from the default planes.

5) Do embed as much data as possible in a 3D sketch. Since 2006 you can loft between the curves in a 3D sketch. Thus a far cleaner more efficient history tree.

6)Decals are an efficient tool early in the design process. Don't model details like vents, over-mold, logos and part lines for a review between options, when you can do a quick Photoshop sketch and project it onto simple Solidworks geometry. Solidworks is very good at texture creation and simple geometry creation. Use Solidworks geometry as an underlay for hand sketching. (ie Sketch what is difficult to model, and model what is difficult to sketch)

7)USE THE ORIGIN. Seems like most newbies don't realize the efficiency of symmetrical modeling, and the ease of relationship creation when the origin is involved.

8)Learn to jump back and forth between solids and surfaces.

...hmmm... will edit and add more later.

Reply to
parel

Parel - an interesting read.

Just one question - could you eloborate on what you mean by "Solidworks is very good at texture creation"

I have found it quite diffuclt to get the scale of surface textures mapped correctly .... but I live in hope that you might have found a better way ;-)

TTFN

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

TOP tips ... thanks

Reply to
Life in Mono

I now remember one thing which I forgot which I learned the hard way, and most other users do, but we probably quickly forget, as the first lesson is likely never repeated.

"One Basic Starting Feature"

If you have a complex part, whether boxy or round, pick a basic starting feature that is likely not to change as the first feature and make is symmetrical with the origin (if possible), and keep it a simple extrude or rotation, and make 100% certain it is Fully Defined (trying to define a complex shape later can break relationships to later features). .

If the first feature's sketch becomes complex with lots of details, holes, radii, etc., and you have to go back and edit & particularly delete an element of that first feature's Sketch after 50 more features are added, you can break inumerable relationships-features and and have one of Matt's Feature Trees of Blood, if I remember his term right.

Failure to keep all sketches fully defined will just make broken features even worse, & often mean it is easier to reconstruct from the ground up.

Bo

Reply to
Bo