trouble understanding closed corners?

Hi,

I'm wondering what I'm missing re: the closed corner command on the sheet metal toolbar. As far as I can tell it works only at random.

What I mean is; sometimes it creates a nice extension of a flange to 'close' the corner. Othertimes it shows the preview of the nice extension but then creates only a tiny infintessimal extension.

It seems to be influenced by flange order and the trim side bends option.

Any ideas?

Zander

Reply to
Zander

this command has confused me as well (since '01 plus, i believe). i don't bother using it. imho, it's more efficient (accurate) to close the corners manually. sure it's a little more work (additional features) but i'm after reality not science fiction. :)

Reply to
kenneth b

"kenneth b" wrote in news:c1005l$1clvc6$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-150979.news.uni-berlin.de:

Good point Kenneth, I guess I maintain this fundamental hope that tools will perform as advertised. My resistance to cynicism I guess.... :)

Reply to
Zander

Zander wrote in news:Xns94935A7E83DDCsig6667.245txjh@216.40.28.76:

I don't claim to understand it completely either, but I agree that it works better when used with the trim side bends. One way I have used it is when I get an ugly corner, I might go back and use the trim side bends and then close the corner.

If we could get Sean Adams to comment here, he probably has a better grasp of this.... Sean?

matt

Reply to
matt

Hey Zander,

Closed corner will behave differently with different bend reliefs. It is also dependant upon the edge flange type(inside, outside, intersecting). I find it easier to modify the sketch of an edge flange. THis allows for dialing in the bend relief some and adjusting the corner lap. Closed corners does not allow for an offset value. This renders it useless to me in most cases where welding will be used on the corners. We use a 1/2 material set-back in material thicker than 18GA.

Dave

Hi Zander,

Personally, I find most of the problems with these types of features is SolidWork's ghastly and underpowered treatment of "perfectly" co-planar features when using sheet metal.

I find that if you add a very small offset to the edge flange (like .001), you will attain more success with a closed corner. Equally nice is building the overlap for the closed corner right into the sketch of the second flange, but also requiring a micro-offset down at the corner form radius (i.e. for a .031 radius, the corner clearance must be .032 high).

Personally, I am very weary of working around the problems that SolidWorks has with "pure" planar "interferences" in sheet metal. One has to cheat far too often to keep the planes from touching. I find the whole solution to be dismaying as the sheet metal features are logically distinguished from each other in the feature tree, yet, planarity of features causes features to fail across the board, hence the micro-gap, micro-offset, micro-cut, micro-whatever.

I personally am hoping as well, but cynicism has had it's way with me. I can only classify many of these "helpful" sheet metal functions as adequate, and not yet exceptional. Personal I don't believe that these functions will ever be improved because they are simply adequate . . . and people can play around and usually get them to work as expected.

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Hi There Matt!

Yes indeed! I too think it was time to put something together on this closed corner:

I have found a plethora of conditions that one must meet before this closed corner will work. Much like being appointed to the supreme court - you must have a clean driving record, never missed filing your taxes, passed the bar at least twice, have 8 years of schooling, 30 years of experience, be married to a lawyer, have clean fingernails, star-spangled underwear and executive styled hair . . .

It's good when it's good, but when it's bad . . . look out!

Later

SMA

Cyrano Devoid O'Funk

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

I haven't been able to connect to your site. I get "The page cannot be displayed", 10060 - Connection timeout.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Never mind!

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Nice work. Thanks for this and all of the other good stuff on your site. Definitely deserves a bookmark!

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

fgsfsfgsf