User preferences...

Folks,

Heres a really elementary question whos solution isn't to elementary for me for some odd reason.

I am running SW2003, latest SPs, and I want to create mutliple user preferences.

What is the trick to create the user folder and start saving and recalling user preferences?

Thank you,

Elp.

Reply to
El Phantazmo

do you mean you have several users logging in to use the same pc? or do you mean you want to save your settings as different templates?

Reply to
neil

There are two solidworks jockeys that use the same computer, one day shift, one night shift. They both have different desires as to how their menus look, ect ... ect ..

I am just looking for a way of maintaining a different userspecification for each user. I've read about .CUS files which can be stored in the USER subdirectory, but I have no idea on how to build or call the .CUS files.

tia,

Elp.

Reply to
El Phantazmo

? Are they logging on as different users? Most times windoze will separate the user pref' on that bases.. SW may not though. Haven't been using 04 for some time now..

jb..

Reply to
jb

if they have different logons they will have their own preferences stored by SW as a matter of course when they use it. if they have the same logon the only way I can think of is if each saves their set up using the copy settings wizard and replace the existing version each time they are the user - but that sounds like poor practice to me. maybe someone has other info.

Reply to
neil

BTW IIRC SW2003 doesn't remember customised toolbars -just the placement of them.

Reply to
neilscad

BTW IIRC SW2003 doesn't remember customised toolbars -just the placement of them.

Reply to
neilscad

I think the .cus file went away with 2005. In 2003, one user sets up SW the way he wants. He then finds the .cus file in the SW directory and saves it to a personal directory. The next user does the same, only he saves his .cus file to his own personal directory. Each user can then load his preferences by merely replacing the .cus file in the SW directory.

It was useful when taking classes at the local community college, where they reset all software every day.

Later versions of SW use a "Copy Settings" wizard. I haven't tried that yet.

If I were managing two users on a single copy of SW, however, I'd make them both use the same settings. I also recommend sticking with the SW defaults as much as possible. Going from your own customized version of SW back to a more generic version can be like using a whole different program.

Reply to
JKimmel

Yes, I was hoping that Solidworks2003 would create an entry in the individual Documents and Settings subs that are attached to each user, but, alas it did not. There is that USER subdir off the Solidworks subdir with the .CUS files. I copied a .CUS file from another install, just to see if it loaded (I matched the .CUS file with the username).

No dice.

Reply to
El Phantazmo

Hehehe ... i've tried that...

: "Can't you two just use the same settings?"

: "Well, I hate how has his laid out ... drives me nuts."

: " wants you two to share the same settings, are you ok with that?"

: "Sure, as long as they are my settings..."

I think I will let them fight it out, and maintain the settings of the winner.

Any bets on who will win?

:)

Thanks guys.

Elp.

Reply to
El Phantazmo

hmmm sounds like an impending productivity problem....

Perhaps install SW and the OS on removable hard drives and just swap the drives out at shift change?

Reply to
Michael

You know, thats not a bad idea ... sometimes can create backup problems from across the network, but it does solve some issues.

Thanks Michael,

Reply to
El Phantazmo

Reply to
Michael

400 quatloos on CAD Guy B.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'm giving 4 to 1 on CAD Guy A if anyone is interested...

Reply to
El Phantazmo