Does anyone know how to make a mitered corner from solid objects?

I haven't been able to find the answer to this one any where, so I thought I'd challenge some sharpe minds here. Here's a simple example: take 2 pieces of a solid shape, and place them so they make a 90 degree angle. How do I cut them so I have mitered corners (like a picture frame)?

Reply to
It is I

?! I think you are asking for more like you want an assembly operation.

I would guess that you place a plane were you want the cut and use it to cut your miter.

Giorgis

are you trying to do this in an assembly? to a single part? or multibodies? if you have SW03 or 04 there is an example of a moulding around a door in the Introducing SW (under Help) -parts/moulding i.e.chapter 2-12 that shows a mitre corner extrudecut by a triangular sketch... is that what you mean?

Reply to
neil

or another way to form corners is with weldments in 04,05,06....see the Help notes for examples of corner treatments

Reply to
neil

The simplest and most direct way to do this in a part is:

INSERT/FEATURE/SPLIT

you will need and extruded plane surface to form the cutting plane. When the part is split choose to show the resulting bodies you want to keep.

This functionality has been in since 2004.

Reply to
TOP

Draw a rectangle to represent the inside or outside of the frame. Then at one of the corners of the rectangle, make a plane perpendicular to the rectangle and draw the cross section of the frame. Then make a sweep using the first rectangle as the path and the section as the profile. If the corners of the first rectangle are sharp, this will create mitered corners.

matt

It is I wrote:

Reply to
mjlombard

This is a very impressive capability of sweep.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

I assume you want them in individual part files. Why do I get an error when extruding to surface (workplane) in both directions?

jmather