BSOD when exiting Solidworks 2006

BSOD when exiting Solidworks 2006... Any ideas, already did a re-install after uninstalling and registry clean. At first I thought it was a registry problem as I was getting BSODs when ever I changed a setting in Solidworks. At this point I'm just trying to determine if it is hardware or OS.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

it may be a corrupt file--does it happen all the time, or only when working with particular parts/assemblies?

Reply to
Michael

What does the BSOD say? (ie. what error did it generate?), usually in the first couple of lines of Bills Sudden Onset Destruction.

Not Necessarily Me wrote:

Reply to
El Phantazmo

You need to write down the first couple of line on the BSOD and then search MSoft for the meaning. It may have nothing to do with SW.

Reply to
TOP

sorry for my ignorance but what the heck is BSOD???

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Not that common any more in XP usually a hardware or driver fault.

John Layne

John Layne

thanks, another hole in my education is now filled :-)

"John Layne" >>>

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Hey guys,

We found the problem. The 3 system files associated with my profile got screwed up somehow. By logging into a different profile with admin privileges we were able to copy the files from another profile and get the system up and running again. I'm glad our IT guy knows more about this stuff than I do...

Jeff

Solidworks.

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

What 3 files????? This would be good info to have documented here in case someone ele runs into it.

I also wonder if you would have been able to blow away the SW CU key and have it recreate it and fix the problem.

WT

Reply to
WT

In the folder called DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS and then in your user folder (mine is JEFF) you will find NTUSER.DAT, ntuser.ini and ntuser.dat.log. These files are the heart & soul of the registry. My IT guy says there was something screwed up in the user hive. You will have to log on as administrator to be able to back up these files, I zipped them up so that I can easily restore them if this ever happens again.

hope this helps, Jeff

Reply to
Not Necessarily Me