How to make a Spice Grinder

One of my students has taken it into his head that he wants to make a spice grinder. The hand held sort with a crank handle.

Does anyone have a pointer to plans or even an exploded view of a grinder that we can use to get started?

Many thanks for your help.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

I'm pretty sure one of the usual suspects like Leigh Valley, Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. supplies a grinder component kit for folks who want to turn, carve, etc. the body for it. Can probably locate one of these kits and download the instructions for it which probably contain a good exploded diagram. Might even order one kit so you can practice the art of cloning.

Reply to
Pete C.

Thats how pot dealers puff up the stuff, remove the kerf. Is that why your student is making that?

Reply to
vinny

I suggest that he buy a good one, remove the guts, and machine a nice aluminum body it can fit in.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Actually this kid is one of the ones who I would be very surprised if that was the reason. But.... you never know.

Errol

Reply to
Errol Groff

What's "kerf"?

John

Reply to
JohnM

Keef.

Reply to
vinny

I guess I just don't get out much, I don't know what "keef" is either.

Whatever it is, I don't think Errol is too likely to have a student stockpiling it with a spice grinder..

John

Reply to
JohnM

Hi Errol,

I have a hand coffee grinder that is pretty simple in design, but the main frame is a heavy casting. If you think it might be helpful I could take some pictures and maybe a few measurements.

The whole thing is maybe 12 inches tall and about 5 inches across. The millings drop into a ceramic cup that is around

2 inches tall, 3 inches across and sits in the base. If you are familiar with the Cup-at-a-Time coffee brewers it is about the same overall size.

I can't find an exact picture on the web. It is similar in operation and size to this one though:

The main frame is cast iron and open though. No nifty sliding door on top either. I cut a hole in a plastic lid for the crank and laid it over the top to keep the beans from jumping out. The degree of grind is controlled by adjusting a nut/screw above the crank. Really crude, but it seemed to work okay.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Hi Errol,

Here are a few links to some patent drawings that may give you some ideas too:

If you follow the following link/search, you can better decide yourself just which ones would be feasible. Some of these are pretty complicated and would be hard to make from scratch.

Leon Fisk

Thanks Leon. I will have my student look at the patent illustrations tomorrow and let him decide if he wants to tackle the job.

Errol

Reply to
Errol Groff

Depending on if he wants to make the innards or the outer casing, I bet someone like Rocklers or Woodcraft sells a peppermill kit for woodturners. Not much of a stretch to change the material.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

They do.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Fair enough. If he does decide to try making something, I would be curious to know how it comes out in the end.

Reply to
Leon Fisk