Variable Radius Filleting in Solidworks, comments

I am not a SW user, yet, but am currently shopping several packages to find a good Variable Radius Filleting solution.
Would SW be a good solution for mechanical parts modeling that demand a "sound" Variable Radius/Complex Filleting option? TIA Michael
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming

Edward T Eaton wrote:

Edward, Thank you very much for the link, I will explore it. I know Jon, I sent him an email last week about something but I suppose his email address has changed or something. I use Rhino, Alibre, TrueSpace, ZBrush, Smartcam and Visualmill. I am still looking for a bit more than those packages "presently" offer. Rhino has been my main modeler since it's inception, but the V3 "difficulties" and as of this week yet another year before the variable fillet capability get worked on, well what do I do? I look at is as their dilemma not mine. Anyway, I am looking to get this Variable Radius filleting impass behind me as well as looking for a stable piece of software that I don't get patches for every few days and "hope" that things remain stable. Care to comment on stability of SW and file Import/Export translation? I export my models into cnc mills and routers, tell me, what are the translation capabilities of SW like? I know that Rhino has never translated to/from SW very well at all. Over the years I usually cringe when someone says they want to move files between SW & Rhino. I have a 20 gigabytes model base, what would SW offer to deal with moving files between Rhino and SW?
Regards, Michael Gailey

--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
Michael,

Sorry. I have not been using the old e-mail with a underscore between my first and last name. The new one does not use an underscore. If I have not addressed your e-mail in what I wrote above to Ed feel free to e-mail me at my new Yahoo account.
As I said above to Ed, IMO IronCAD will best offer you the integration with Rhino that I think you need. I have IronCAD installed on this machine and if you want me to test something for you feel free to get a hold of me by e-mail.
I would be glad to download files, bring them into IronCAD and send you back an ACIS or Parsolid file.
jon

Micheal,
-As far as stability, '04 seems to be quite stable. I have had less crashes with SP0, than I ever had with '03 SP whatever. -Files being imported have definately gotten better. IMO the real problem is that most of these companies dont want their programs to "play" with anyone else. Go figure.

No disagreement, Ed.
IMO, Michael would best be served by IronCAD for the following reasons:
1. IronCAD uses both Parasolid and ACIS for it's modeling kernels.
2. IronCAD has far better integration of Rhino than SolidWorks. See the IronCAD website for a decent Flash presentation of how this works.
3. Michael can try IronCAD for 90 days free. It's downloadable and has no limitations.
4. I know for a FACT that the next release of IronCAD due in the 2nd quarter of 2005 major focus will be on adding surfacing.
jon

jon banquer wrote:

Inovate is just a 60 day eval, but that is plenty. I can use it a few days and find what I need to know. Inovate was the download I got. What kind of price is VX Mold & Die? It appears to be pretty good but their eval doesn't download. Also where is a SW eval download? Michael

--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming

IMO, you should forget about Inovate and download IronCAD.

http://www.novedge.com/Start_CAM.asp
They show it for $5,500 but I think you can do better from an aggressive VX VAR.

It should. Contact Mike Lynch at VX if you continue to have a problem.

You would not need to use Rhino if you go with Vision. VX will also listen to what you have to say. They are a small but very responsive company.
IMO, Vision is every bit Unigraphics equal at part modeling. Vision is used by Newport Tool and Die in Road Island who does a ton of work for Stanley Products.

Don't know but SolidWorks Corp is really generous about letting students / unemployed engineers / etc. use the product to learn it at no charge. They are a very progressive and good company in this way.
jon

SWX does offer a free "Personal" edition to just about anybody. I believe it is limited to 90 days.
Arlin wrote:

What is the link? Michael
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming

No clues at all about variable radius fillets I note .... and I'm certain that the 2nd quarter of ****2005**** will help a lot ......
Any more BS?
--
Cliff Huprich

jon, Talk about a hypocrite.
One one hand you always harp on how various functionality NEEDS to be included with the core product.
Then, on the other hand, you praise IronCad for its integration with Rhino. So why don't you criticize IC for its lack of functionality (which can be filled with Rhino)???
--
Arlin
(remove '351' from email to reply)
"Then, on the other hand, you praise IronCad for its integration with Rhino. So why don't you criticize IC for its lack of functionality (which can be filled with Rhino)???"
In Micheal's case I praise IronCAD because it may very well be what Michael needs with all his legacy Rhino data. Should I put my own agenda before what may very well be right for Michael ?
"So why don't you criticize IC for its lack of functionality (which can be filled with Rhino)???"
I certainly have ! Need proof ? Just ask and I'll post it or the links to it. In fact, I was so adamant about IronCAD lacking in needed surfacing functionality that an IronCAD tech, who use to be a former SolidWorks Certified Support Engineer and trainer, contacted me. He and I agree on what is needed in IronCAD.
Further, as I'm sure you read, Michael also has an interest in VX's Vision and will be evaluating it. VX's Vision is a seamless, unified, hybrid modeler and does not need to be augmented like IronCAD and SolidWorks do to get the needed basic functionality.
I hope this answer your questions to your satisfaction. If not, let me know what you need from me to make it perfectly clear that I don't think IronCAD is a seamless, unified, hybrid modeler at the moment. I am confident, however, that IronCAD will be a seamless, unified, hybrid modeler by the 2nd quarter of 2004.
jon

Ed,
"I don't know what other packages you are looking at, but SW has done a lot with filleting without fanfare - things have been happening behind the scenes to allow many more fillets to work that would have failed even a year ago. Overt improvements are also impressive - for instance, filleting 'features' instead of just edges and faces is mind-blowingly powerful."
I guess the real question is why were they failing in the first place ? Parasolid is exceptionally strong with filleting and always has been. Whatever the reason, I'm glad that you see progress and that it's helpful to you.
Obviously, I would rather see more balance in Solidworks but in the absence of balance I'm glad that other areas are being improved to your satisfaction.
If you can't answer Michael's questions on any filleting problem that Michael would come across in SolidWorks, I don't know of another SolidWorks user who could.
jon

Why don't YOU try?
--
Cliff Huprich

Sort of reminds me of the ASD surface package in CADDS 4X circa 1983 <G>.

Nope. That's not it's function. Buy some clues someday.
<snicker>
I just did a little search to find jb's first post to mention Parasolid. He's learned not one single thing. since then.
Anybody recall "King of all CAD modeling ( snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net)" from the 1996 - 97 timeframe?
"Take a look at this PTC web site press release, I had to wait for it to come out before I could say exactly what I thought "
--
Cliff Huprich

Michael,
Have you tried Power Solids for Rhino?
http://www.npowersoftware.com/solids/learnmorePS_rhino.html
..
Michael wrote:

Real filleting as an optional add-on ???
Where does the B.S. end ????
The developers of PowerSolids / PowerBooleans are extremely nice and competent people. Nothing but good things to say about Gary Crooker and how responsive he is.
Gary and his partner should be directly on McNeel's payroll but Bob McNeel is too narrow minded and too cheap.
Why not raise the price of Rhino and offer a more complete product instead of the incomplete one it is now.
After all these years Bob McNeel is still totally lost as the ship drifts at sea. Perhaps an accountant turned salesman does not have the proper vision needed to deliver what the market wants ?
LOL
jon

....more bs....
jon banquer wrote:

... cut bs....

Wow, you're buddies. Say no more,... but why is Michael asking here if you are his buddy,...? Surely with you as his friend he should be able to get all the answers that he would ever need from you??

I don't know, maybe??
Please, show your work (no marketing bs, your work) using IronCad and why it would be a better solution for Michael? You must have examples from your demo's backing your claims, right?? No excuses, show the variable fillet radii which you are supporting and post them, ok? Oh, don't spin this into IC with surfacing is not released until next year bs because we are talking about variable fillet radii now... not next year promises from an advert.

I have no association with or will I ever have an association with Joe Dunne. Ah, but he did say you were the guy, he really wanted to work with you!!! Go for it, you guys are perfect for eachother!!
Makes you go..... HMMMMMMMMM, doesn't it!????
..
"but why is Michael asking here if you are his buddy,...?"
Most people like to hear a variety of opinions.
Why should Michael be any different ???
"I have no association with or will I ever have an association with Joe Dunne."
This is no surprise to me. ;>)
jon