Weldments

When trimming two parts together in weldments is there a way of stopping the parts from joining by a set distance?

At the moment I am joining them, then adding a cut through to make my gap. This is necessary regularly for beams on houses (where for fabrication on site needs some clearances - makes assembly much easier!) where beams are joined together by bolts rather than welded

Is there a better way of doing this than the way I'm doing it now?

Thanks in advance Reuben

Using SolidWorks 2007 SP4.0

Reply to
Reuben

This is an area where SWx lacks. Anybody who has done any steel fab. knows about leaving this gap, but SWx doesn't have the capability yet. There should be a nice dialogue where you can spec. the weld prep, offset etc. Also notice, that you can only apply welds to fillets, not butt joints in SWx.

So Reuben, I think your workaround is probably the best way for now. Or you could submit an enhancement request, but don't hold your breath.

Cheers, Dom.

Reply to
Dom

Reuben,

I suppose you could construct your weldment "framework" sketch with the necessary gaps already in it. Each member that had gaps at both ends would have to be added as a separate feature, as SWX requires a continuous sketch profile for adding multiple structural mambers in one shot..

John H

Reply to
John H

not true, structural members can have random sketch segments.

Reply to
kenneth

If you try and select multiple sketch elements that do not touch each other for a single "structural member" feature , you get an error message - at least, you do in 2007.

John H

Reply to
John H

Slight correctio/addition - sketch elements have to be either connected or parallel. Can't see why there is this limitation, but it certainly exists in 2007.

John H

Reply to
John H

the key here is "or".

let me revise, random parallel sketch segments will work. "non-continuous, parallel" OR "continuous, non-parallel". ;)

Reply to
kenneth