13 years ago
I had more fun putting the new MIG welder to use again today.
I bought a new edger because I gave up on making my old one work. I've
taken the carburetor apart 3 times now and cleaned it, and replaced fuel
lines, but it's refusing to start so I decided it was time to buy a new one
before the weeds took over my sidewalks and drive way.
Space in my garage is getting tight these days, so I wanted to hang the new
edger on the wall with the other tools, but between a lack of space, and
the fact I couldn't find any hooks at Home Depot that looked like they
would work well, I decide it was time to put the new welder to some more
use so I designed and build a bracket to hold the new edger.
The main advantage of this one is that it holds the edger about 8 inches
out from the wall which allows it to hang freely, as well as allow me to
fit it on the wall without moving other tools out of the way. And of
course, the hook was sized just right to fit the edger where I wanted it to
I also got to use the new rod and bar bender I recently got at Harbor
Freight with my 15% off coupon.
It worked well for bending the fork on the bracket but it does take a bit
of time to figure out how to set it up for the project. It would work far
better if I had a place to secure it to the floor, but for now, I just hold
it down with a foot while holding and pushing to make the bend. The 5/16"
rod I was using for this project is about the limit of what you can
probably bend without securing the bender to something. There's only so
much force you can apply with the bending bar while trying to hold it down
with a single foot at the same time. :)
I used a PLASTI DIP product (from Home Depot) to coat the tongs of the
bracket. The hooks I've bought in the past had a similar coating on them
to protect the tools they hold from scratching so it seemed like a good
idea. I've never used this stuff before but I've seen it advertised for
years so it was fun having an excuse to buy some and try it out.
I don't know what the stuff is actually made of, but it seems to work well
for this type of application. I had painted the entire bracket before I
dipped it, and it looked like the first coat was having some issues trying
to bond to the fairly fresh paint. But a second coat in the dip took care
of that and the result seems to have turned out just fine. I'll have to
give it some time to see how well it holds up.
All it all, it was another fun project that makes me enjoy having a welder
at home so I whip up these sorts of things on a moments notice. It only
took maybe two hours of work plus the time waiting for the paint and the
plasti dip to dry.
I've also ordered a cab rebuilt kit for the old edger to see if I can bring
it back to life. Hate to give up on a machine that seems like it should
still have a good bit of life left in it. If I can get that back to life,
maybe I'll make an effort to bring the old grass trimmer and leaf blower
back to life as well!