What is "Hide Solid Body" used for?

I get that "Hide Solid Body" hides the model, but why is this useful? Could someone explain what it is intended to do?

Reply to
Mickey Reilley

There are times that you use a body for construction purposes, but it's not to be a part of the final product. I have not done that in any of my designs, but I've seen it done, so therefore I am absolutely not an expert on it.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I use it when I want to work on some surfaces. It can be useful to hide the solid body while creating surfaces that will either be used to modify the body or whatever.

Reply to
jk

IMHO, similar to hiding/unhide surfaces, it's probably one of my most used features for managing bodies.

This brings up concerns/needs/wants for more visibility management, such as, grouping/layering/representations... and no, I'm not talking about configurations (which could be used along with the above). I'm generally speaking of layout sketches or work areas or related geometry visibility to enhance workflow.

..

Mickey Reilley wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Use it with multibudy parts -solid bodies that can be independant of each other, note "merge result" check box when creating a feature.

It can be used for many things but a simple example is if you model a bottle you can produce a second independant body in the same part that represents the liquid in the bottle, the fill level of this liquid being some distance below the top of the bottle.

You can then use mass properties to calculate the volume of the liquid if you select that body or the volume of the bottle if you select the other body.

If you then create a 2D drawing and you do not require the fill level to show on the drawing you can Hide the solid body of the fill.

Hope this helps

Kev

Reply to
Kev Parkin

...the way I have used it is in assemblies where I don't want to break up a patterned set of parts but I want to render an image without some of the parts being visible, it is also useful as the non visible parts are still part of the assembly mass and positioning calculations.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

I mate some assembly parts with part sketches.. avoids some problems with edges being redefined/disappearing in sheet metal parts.

Reply to
rocheey

When you make a mold by splitting one part into two halves, this comes into play. You hide the solid body of the original, un-split, mold. Only the two split halves are visible and that's all you really care about from that point onward. But the original hidden solid body hangs around in case you need it for updates.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Sink

Besides hiding the model when working on surfaces I usually use it to scare the hell out of my co-workers that don't know how to use SolidWorks very well.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Maren

POOF!!! All their work is gone. LOL When I was young I was a dishwasher and we would send the new guy into the basement to get the Bacon Stretcher. Then if he was really gullible we would send him for the Rice Peeler.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

...and at the airplane repair shop where I worked, we sent the new guy for a bucket of prop wash or a can of relative bearing grease.

Reply to
Steve Rauenbuehler

... and when I worked in carpentry we would ask for the board stretcher.

Reply to
Arlin

If I have a model with trim surfaces or construction surfaces, I use "Delete body" as the last feature to clean them up. The surfaces are recovered when the model is rolled back to before the "delete body" feature.

The reason I do this and not "hide" the surfaces is so that the surfaces do not spontaneously appear in future drawings, assemblies or exports. Doubled-up surfaces can wreak havoc on exported files when the customer tries to retranslate them.

Reply to
TheTick

We used to send the new apprentices to the stores for a left handed screw driver, a long stand or a tin of elbow grease (:.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Any U.S. Navy vet has probably sent someone to get a BT punch. BT's are boiler technicians, usually very large men.

Reply to
TheTick

We will probably will be seeing these kitchen helpers for sale on eBay in the near future. It would seem some of the restaurants in our area have already discovered the benefits of bacon stretching (one piece looks like three)

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Don't forget the girls who took auto class in high school and you told them they would need blinker fluid and muffler bearings.....

Funny thread

Reply to
Ken Maren

It's too bad they didn't use that stretcher on you.....:-)

Reply to
Ken Maren

Blinker fluid and other Handy stuff at this site :-)

Ken Maren wrote:

Reply to
FrankW

That's pretty funny - I had never seen that site. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany